+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my sister (a minor) come as immediate family member?

astdium

Aug 28, 2017
Hi, I’m a permanent resident of Canada. My mom, dad, and sister (dependent minor) are planning to visit me for the holidays and stay for a couple of months. The Canada website says that my parents qualify as immediate family members. It says that siblings are extended family members and need written authorization. However, how about a sibling that’s a minor and is a dependent of my parents? Would they need written authorization as well or would they qualify as an immediate family member?

I’ll try to call IRCC on Monday to see what they say, but any insights from y’all?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I’m a permanent resident of Canada. My mom, dad, and sister (dependent minor) are planning to visit me for the holidays and stay for a couple of months. The Canada website says that my parents qualify as immediate family members. It says that siblings are extended family members and need written authorization. However, how about a sibling that’s a minor and is a dependent of my parents? Would they need written authorization as well or would they qualify as an immediate family member?

I’ll try to call IRCC on Monday to see what they say, but any insights from y’all?

Thanks!
She needs written authorization.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Assume they all have TRVs already. If she is a minor you will have to explain how she can be away from school for so long.

astdium

Aug 28, 2017
Assume they all have TRVs already. If she is a minor you will have to explain how she can be away from school for so long.
Yes, they all have TRVs. And I should have clarified before, my mother is the only one staying for a couple months. My dad and sister will only stay from mid December to mid January, so she won't be missing school.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If approved they will need to quarantine for 2 weeks. They should remain a separate area of your home, like the basement for 2 weeks or you can all stay at home together for 14 days unless you have any vulnerable person including a pregnant women.

mehtaworld

Aug 12, 2017
Thanks! Already started the form and will have the notary public sign it tomorrow!
Hello,

I have a similar question. Wanted to check if the authorization was approved for you? Is it okay to mention the reason for travel as "holiday"? On the IRCC website they mention to have a "non-discretionary" purpose.

Thanks

astdium

Aug 28, 2017
Hello,

I have a similar question. Wanted to check if the authorization was approved for you? Is it okay to mention the reason for travel as "holiday"? On the IRCC website they mention to have a "non-discretionary" purpose.
Yes, it was approved. The email to IRCC came from my dad, the reason for travel was family visit for Christmas holidays, and we attached passports, TRVs, quarantine plan, and my PR. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: mehtaworld

mehtaworld

Aug 12, 2017
Yes, it was approved. The email to IRCC came from my dad, the reason for travel was family visit for Christmas holidays, and we attached passports, TRVs, quarantine plan, and my PR. Best of luck to you!
Thanks very much. :) Is there any format you followed for the quarantine plan? Or just mentioning that they'll self-quarantine and the hosts take care of all the needs will be sufficient?

astdium

Aug 28, 2017
Thanks very much. :) Is there any format you followed for the quarantine plan? Or just mentioning that they'll self-quarantine and the hosts take care of all the needs will be sufficient?
Yeah I put that they will be quarantining with me at my home ( I would be quarantining too), that I was going to get them at the airport and go directly to my home, and that I was gonna have 2 weeks worth of food, medication, toiletries, etc. And that if we needed anything extra, we would get groceries delivered through Instacart.

Reactions: mehtaworld

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yeah I put that they will be quarantining with me at my home ( I would be quarantining too), that I was going to get them at the airport and go directly to my home, and that I was gonna have 2 weeks worth of food, medication, toiletries, etc. And that if we needed anything extra, we would get groceries delivered through Instacart.
Crazy that this was approved. No wonder why we have covid problems. Visitors should quarantine away from the Canadian residents so they don’t potentially infect more people. if you look at the posted quarantine directions you shouldn’t be quarantining with extended family. Quarantining with family risks infecting one more person and increasing the demand on the health system. Apparently with the new variant the borders have gotten better at enforcing real quarantine. Also nobody should also be travelling for family visits unless absolutely essential. I didn’t see any of my family within driving distance in Canada during the holidays as directed by the public health agencies.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Thanks
Nobody should be travelling on holiday. Travel is supposed to be essential.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello,

Thanks
Going on a holiday during a pandemic is ridiculous.
If citizens WITHIN the country are being advised not to fly within the country , outside the country , or go outside their homes except for essential reasons , asking whether a foreigner can visit the country for a “ holiday “ is a tad bit ridiculous.
Holidays are discretionary, they can and should be postponed during this time .
If I as a citizen can postpone visiting friends and or family during this time , and individuals cannot even go into a hospital to say their last goodbyes to people in ICU dying from the virus ,then there should be NO question whatsoever individuals, who have no right to enter the country do the same .
You postpone your “ vacation and or holiday.”
Isn’t rocket science kids

Last edited:

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
Well, if IRCC approved it, you are within your rights to travel. Interesting to see members whose only justification for delaying citizenship for a meaningless test is "law is the law, deal with it" are now so upset over travel related laws. My answer is: "Law is the law, deal with it". If you dont like the laws, take it up with your MP.

Reactions: KHJN