+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can my research work toward my MSc and PhD thesis count as work experience?

hyunjinc

Oct 21, 2009
I am PhD student at one of the Canadian universities, and I had done my BSc and MSc in Canada as well.
The research project works that I have done for my thesis were funded by my supervisor and university scholarship.
Can I claim my thesis research work as work experience since it was funded by my supervisor?

thanks

aidandoherty

Dec 29, 2009
Yesterday you were a masters student and today you're a phd student at a Canadian university!! Are you taking the Michael?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
hyunjinc said:
I am PhD student at one of the Canadian universities, and I had done my BSc and MSc in Canada as well.
The research project works that I have done for my thesis were funded by my supervisor and university scholarship.
Can I claim my thesis research work as work experience since it was funded by my supervisor?

thanks
Work experience means 40 hrs-a-week of regular 'paid' work in an NOC. If your research project also meets that, for sure u can claim that experience.

cut

Jan 19, 2009
botswana
Category........
Visa Office......
PRETORIA, SOUTH AFRICA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2009
Doc's Request.
26-10-2009
AOR Received.
26-10-2009
File Transfer...
19-02-2010
Med's Request
14-02-2012
Med's Done....
16-04-2012
you cant claim any point for experience against your research or thesis

Doglover

Champion Member
Dec 1, 2009
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
hyunjinc said:

thanks
Nops u can't , cuz they have already given u points for ur such Education( master/ Phd) , so u can't claim more points

kisunja

Star Member
Nov 2, 2008
If you are writing it under scholarship (money without any work obligation like NSERC or SSHRC)- then no, you can't.
If you are a research assistant (that means you signed a contract with your supervisor, have a salary and pay taxes out of that:)) - then you can claim this as a work experience (there is even a special noc code: post-graduate research and teaching assistants).
If it is part-time though, or less than 37.5h/w, be sure to calculate your number of hours. I;ve seen grad research assistants rejected b/c they did not have a equivalent of 1 year of the full-time experience.

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hyunjinc said:

thanks
No no cannot claim points. Please refer to operational manual for FSW or other class to understand how are points calculated. You will not be entitled.