+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my PR in process be affected if I file a case for my car accident?

fionaRN

Jul 27, 2018
I had a car accident recently and I was the passenger and my husband was driving. A vehicle hit us twice as he was unable to stop at the red light due to malfunction of the brake. No police/ambulance was involved but we reported right away. The driver admits it’s his fault and we had witness too.
I am 18 weeks pregnant and have muscle pain and sore neck and back pain due to the injury, my husband don’t have any symptoms yet. I have seen my doctor and everything is okay for now. Doctor asked me to take some time off from work and return to work whenever possible.
Thinking if I file a law suit/ use a lawyer to file for this accident, would it affect my BCPNP process that I submitted in Jan 2019. As I am the primary applicant and I would be off from work due to injury and worried that they can suddenly ask for my pay slips and would show that I am off from work.

Please help

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not sure if you actually mean lawsuit. Are you wanting to reach a settlement with the person's Insurance company. Hopefully they were insured. Have you already received your work permit extension? Are you in a full-time position with benefits? In your situation you want to make sure you eventually qualify for maternity leave benefits.

fionaRN

Jul 27, 2018
Not sure if you actually mean lawsuit. Are you wanting to reach a settlement with the person's Insurance company. Hopefully they were insured. Have you already received your work permit extension? Are you in a full-time position with benefits? In your situation you want to make sure you eventually qualify for maternity leave benefits.
My work permit extension is also ok process. I have a full time job with benefits and I quality for maternity leave.
I do not know if I should reach a settlement as my friends telling me to because I am pregnant and it was due to carelessness. But am just worried about my PR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My work permit extension is also ok process. I have a full time job with benefits and I quality for maternity leave.
I do not know if I should reach a settlement as my friends telling me to because I am pregnant and it was due to carelessness. But am just worried about my PR.
Still unclear whether you have received your work permit extension. If you are not actually working and need to go on longterm disability that could be an issue. Maternity leave is dependent on working for 600 hours the year before you have your child. You wouldn’t qualify at 18 weeks. It doesn’t sound like you have life altering issues due to the car accident so not sure why you would want to file a lawsuit and what you are expecting from the lawsuit. I would encourage you to talk to a lawyer to see what your options are but this is not the US where you can sue for everything and get big payouts. The police weren’t called to the scene and neither was the ambulance which would be an issue if you wanted to sue the driver. It can even be an issue during a settlement. Would see how long you medically need to be on bed rest and what kind of treatment you receive plus save your receipts for any physiotherapy/chiropractor/massage and save any medical records. If you didn’t have any spotting or contractions there isn’t technically a need to be on bed rest for an extended period of time which would be brought up if you had a trial and during a settlement. Assume there wasn’t other issues with the pregnancy before that could have been exacerbated by the ambulance. With a lawyer I would first make sure the driver had insurance and discuss a possible settlement to cover any treatment you received and replace lost income from any time off work. I would only settle with the insurance company if and when you are sure you don’t have longterm issues. This may takes weeks to a few months.

angryrash

Mar 25, 2022
I am sorry to hear that! The thread’s quite old, and I hope you are alright now. For such cases, you’d better have a good personal injury lawyer. Unfortunately, such cases are not unique, and anything can happen on the road because of somebody’s carelessness. I agree with canuck that you should find out if the other driver had insurance and talk to the insurance company. A lawyer could really help get the best possible settlement in this case. It might take a long, but it is worth it because you don’t know what long-term health problems might occur because of this accident.

Last edited: