+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my parents be rejected at the airport if they only have 1 way flight ticket?

ILoveCanada9999

Oct 22, 2021
My parents have 10-year visitor visas, they have been visiting me a few times. I usually buy 2-way tickets for them and the maximum time they stay in Canada is 6 months. This time, because I don't know when they will come back home, so I only bought the 1-way tickets for them. My parents are all over 65 years old. Do you think if they will be rejected at the Toronto airport? Really appreciate your answer.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My parents have 10-year visitor visas, they have been visiting me a few times. I usually buy 2-way tickets for them and the maximum time they stay in Canada is 6 months. This time, because I don't know when they will come back home, so I only bought the 1-way tickets for them. My parents are all over 65 years old. Do you think if they will be rejected at the Toronto airport? Really appreciate your answer.
As said above, the first risk they will face is that the airline will refuse boarding. Since a TRV does not allow someone to move to Canada, airlines often demand that the traveler have a return flight. So if they only have a one-way, you need to be prepared for this risk.

If they airline let's them fly with a one-way, yes there is a chance they may run into issues at the border. Most likely they would be allowed in but it's possible they may be allowed a shorter visit. There is always some possibility they may be refused entry.

ILoveCanada9999

Oct 22, 2021
As said above, the first risk they will face is that the airline will refuse boarding. Since a TRV does not allow someone to move to Canada, airlines often demand that the traveler have a return flight. So if they only have a one-way, you need to be prepared for this risk.

If they airline let's them fly with a one-way, yes there is a chance they may run into issues at the border. Most likely they would be allowed in but it's possible they may be allowed a shorter visit. There is always some possibility they may be refused entry.
Thank you, Buletruck & scylla!

The reason that I did not buy return-ticket for them this time is that they don't know exactly when they will come back because my grandmom's health is not good so they may come back any time. Can we explain it to the border officer?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

The reason that I did not buy return-ticket for them this time is that they don't know exactly when they will come back because my grandmom's health is not good so they may come back any time. Can we explain it to the border officer?
Sure, you can try explaining that. None of us can tell you what the outcome will be.

To me, your bigger risk is that the airline will refuse boarding. They generally expect visitors to have return tickets since they don't want to swallow the costs of the return flight in the event a passenger is refused entry and needs to be returned on the next available flight. You and your parents need to be prepared for the possibility of issues in their home country boarding the flight.

Reactions: ILoveCanada9999

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015

Keep in mind, it’s an onward journey from Canada. It doesn’t necessarily (although it’s probably the most believable) method of proving they plan to exit. It could be as simple as a bus ticket to the US (although I can’t confirm it) that would work as onward travel.
The other option (again from personal experience) is booking a return ticket at the airport just before departure and cancelling it in arrival. Many airlines offer full refunds if the ticket is cancelled within 24 hours. All depends on flight times.

Reactions: ILoveCanada9999