+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my common law partner sponsor me for PR while I'm at university in Canada?

jheronymo

May 2, 2017
Hi everyone,

My partner and I have been living together for over 12 months in Quebec, we have a joint bank account and have filed taxes as a common law union.

I have just finished a Bachelor's degree and have applied to start a Master's in the Fall. We are thinking of applying this summer for her to sponsor me as a permanent resident, so that there's a chance I can become a PR during my master's program (which would help me with tuition and scholarships).

Can she apply to sponsor me for PR while I'm currently on a student visa? Is the application likely to be rejected if I'm an international student at the time of applying?

My partner is a Canadian citizen (with Canadian family), speaks English & French, has a university degree and full-time work so she's eligible as a sponsor in Quebec. I can demonstrate financial capacity for myself.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
jheronymo said:
Can she apply to sponsor me for PR while I'm currently on a student visa?
yes she can sponsor you.

jheronymo said:
Is the application likely to be rejected if I'm an international student at the time of applying?
no, one thing has nothing to do with the other. your student status has nothing to do with a spousal sponsorship application. it's quite common.

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
jheronymo said:
Ok, fantastic!

Thanks for the answer.
You definitely can do! I'm sponsoring my wife while she is a PhD student and we are almost done, we are waiting for the landing appointment. Don't delay the application to summer if you can already gather the required documents. The whole process is quite long!

jheronymo

May 2, 2017
sylvain1 said:
You definitely can do! I'm sponsoring my wife while she is a PhD student and we are almost done, we are waiting for the landing appointment. Don't delay the application to summer if you can already gather the required documents. The whole process is quite long!
Congratulations!

Yes, we've realized the sooner the better!