+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can Leaving Canada While Enrolled In A Program Affect PGPW Eligibility?

StealthyCelery

Feb 24, 2020
Since all classes are online, I have considered staying with some family in the US until my college resumes classes the regular way, and just studying from there remotely.

What effect will this have on PGWP eligibility though? I can't remember clearly, but I think I read somewhere about the rules regarding how the pandemic will affect students. It said that under regular circumstances, taking online classes would make a student ineligible for a PGWP because its distance learning. However because of the pandemic, that rule has been lifted. So taking online classes will still make you eligible for a PGWP. However international students who are already in Canada should remain in Canada while studying their program. Leaving Canada and continuing your program might make you ineligible for applying for a PGWP later on.

Is this true? Or is it safe for international students to leave Canada for the duration of the online classes delivery? What if a student leaves and then comes back in the semester when regular classes resume?

StealthyCelery

Feb 24, 2020
Hmm But that only details out the case where a student was not able to enter Canada because of travel restrictions. It doesn't detail out what students who are already in Canada can do. Wouldn't a student who is already in Canada be questioned as to why they left before their program ended when they had the choice to stay?

In all the other scenarios, the students have no control of their circumstances.

sandee1982

Star Member
Dec 5, 2017
Hi Stealthy, did you get any clarity on your query. I am in the same situation. I decided to come back to India after finishing my summer semester. Fall will start next week and only today I got the news that the winter semester will be online as well. I checked with ISA's in my university before leaving Canada on Aug 9 and they said it will be fine and will not affect my eligibility forPGWP. But I am still a bit doubtful as I have not found any information for our cases. I started my MBA in Fall 2019.

Reactions: StealthyCelery

sandee1982

Star Member
Dec 5, 2017
If you’re outside of Canada
You’re still eligible for a post-graduation work permit if you can’t travel to Canada at this time due to travel restrictions and

• you have a study permit
  • you’ve been approved for a study permit
  • you applied for a study permit before starting your study program in the spring, summer or fall 2020 semesters, or
  • you will apply for a study permit before starting your study program in the January 2021 semester
If you’re in this situation, you can begin your classes while outside Canada and

• complete 100% of your program online if
    • your program is between 8 and 12 months in length, and
    • you started your studies between May and September 2020
  • complete up to 50% of your program online (until April 30, 2021) if you complete the other 50% of your program in Canada
  • complete up to 50% of your studies online (until April 30, 2021) if
    • you’ll graduate from 2 different eligible study programs within 2 years of each other
    • 1 of the programs started between May and September 2020
    • each program is at least 8 months long, and
    • you complete at least 50% of the combined length of the programs in Canada
********************************************************************************
i think we fall under the bold line category. what say?

StealthyCelery

Feb 24, 2020
Hi Stealthy, did you get any clarity on your query. I am in the same situation. I decided to come back to India after finishing my summer semester. Fall will start next week and only today I got the news that the winter semester will be online as well. I checked with ISA's in my university before leaving Canada on Aug 9 and they said it will be fine and will not affect my eligibility forPGWP. But I am still a bit doubtful as I have not found any information for our cases. I started my MBA in Fall 2019.
Yes the text in bold is most relatable to our situation. However its not a statement that stands on its own, its connected to the condition that was described before it - Where a student was unable to enter Canada. And the other important line '' If you're in this situation ''. So its kind of blurry.