+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can items be purchased from US after landing as part of B4a (186a)

kiwi1959

Star Member
Jun 17, 2012
Hello

I'll be landing in couple of weeks and wondering whether I should fill the B4a / 186a form "PERSONAL EFFECTS ACCOUNTING DOC" mentioning that a Computer server (4,000 CAD worth) will follow.
Then order it from USA (used computer) after landing as I couldn't purchase it before for special reason I won't detail here :)
The computer selling Co will ship it to my address.
Question: Can this be considered as mentioned in my 186a form ("goods to follow") or I will be charged for customs fee ?

Please advise
Thank you

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
It’s good that it’s used, however, if it’s shipped by the seller then it’s shipped with purchase information. Now, since customs reviews all attached documentation for every package, that is likely to end badly for you as the shipping company will provide both purchase and shipping info.

I’d suggest, you have the machine shipped to someone. They remove the purchase info and replace it with your GTF forms, then ship it to you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello

I'll be landing in couple of weeks and wondering whether I should fill the B4a / 186a form "PERSONAL EFFECTS ACCOUNTING DOC" mentioning that a Computer server (4,000 CAD worth) will follow.
Then order it from USA (used computer) after landing as I couldn't purchase it before for special reason I won't detail here :)
The computer selling Co will ship it to my address.
Question: Can this be considered as mentioned in my 186a form ("goods to follow") or I will be charged for customs fee ?

Please advise
Thank you
If you say this was included in your 186a form - you'll be committing fraud. Don't do it - it's not worth it. I had a friend do this around 10 years ago and he was caught. He's a Canadian citizen and has problems at the border each time he crosses (has to go through secondary and everything takes way longer) and each time he orders something from the US. Basically he is flagged in the system for life because he lied. He calls it one of the worst decisions of his life.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
It’s good that it’s used, however, if it’s shipped by the seller then it’s shipped with purchase information. Now, since customs reviews all attached documentation for every package, that is likely to end badly for you as the shipping company will provide both purchase and shipping info.

I’d suggest, you have the machine shipped to someone. They remove the purchase info and replace it with your GTF forms, then ship it to you.
Aren't we required to mention Serial No of all the electronic items in GTA/GTF forms? If someone decides to match Serial No mentioned in the forms against the actual ones then he/she might get into trouble.

imm2canadaordie

Nov 1, 2017
Category........
FSW
I have a similar question - if I list nothing in "goods-to-follow" form and then start buying things from american\deutsch\british amazon, will that be considered as violatoin of some rules that I am not aware of?

my country is none of those with amazon

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I have a similar question - if I list nothing in "goods-to-follow" form and then start buying things from american\deutsch\british amazon, will that be considered as violatoin of some rules that I am not aware of?

my country is none of those with amazon
1. No, but if they are purchased after your "landing" you will probably have to pay duty and taxes on the new goods.
2. See: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

Customs Tariff
Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00
Goods imported by a settler for the settler's household or personal use, if actually owned, possessed and used abroad by the settler prior to the settler's arrival in Canada, and accompanying the settler at the time of the settler's arrival in Canada.

For the purpose of this tariff item:

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Aren't we required to mention Serial No of all the electronic items in GTA/GTF forms? If someone decides to match Serial No mentioned in the forms against the actual ones then he/she might get into trouble.
True! It’s a requirement to indicate the serial numbers. With that in mind, the OP has a lot of thinking to do. Either buy the item before landing or buy it later and pay taxes.