+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i work while on a foundation program?

twranks

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
If anyone has had this issue, id love to hear your opinion on it. I just realized my foundation program is 3 months long and I read something online saying I can't work while doing foundation on a study permit. My friend is in the same position and he's working and doesn't think it's a big deal. I just thought to confirm before I make any decisions; would it affect my study permit at all? Would I be refused a job if I apply? Where (if any ) would working while on a foundation program be an issue.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If anyone has had this issue, id love to hear your opinion on it. I just realized my foundation program is 3 months long and I read something online saying I can't work while doing foundation on a study permit. My friend is in the same position and he's working and doesn't think it's a big deal. I just thought to confirm before I make any decisions; would it affect my study permit at all? Would I be refused a job if I apply? Where (if any ) would working while on a foundation program be an issue.
Does your study permit say you can work? Most will say you cannot work on a 3 month program.

twranks

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
Does your study permit say you can work? Most will say you cannot work on a 3 month program.
So it's a 3 month foundation program before the main 2 year program starts at school. I'm asking because I got a job offer before I came across this online and I'm wondering how big of a deal it is if I work while doing my program since it's just 3 months.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So it's a 3 month foundation program before the main 2 year program starts at school. I'm asking because I got a job offer before I came across this online and I'm wondering how big of a deal it is if I work while doing my program since it's just 3 months.
But what does your study permit say?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
May Accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(F), V or W. Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria
Read the IRCC laws for those points. You may not be able to work because believe one of those points has to do with being in a program more than 6 months long.

twranks

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
Read the IRCC laws for those points. You may not be able to work because believe one of those points has to do with being in a program more than 6 months long.
The Program is 2 years long, but the foundation course is 3 months

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The Program is 2 years long, but the foundation course is 3 months
So you have a LOA for the two year program. The issue is that you are on a 3 month program right now. Ask your international advisor at the university for clarification. This is a grey area but you need professional advice.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
May Accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(F), V or W. Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria
Typically you can’t work. Yes it could have negative implications. Would confirm with your international student adviser but it is typically considered as a separate program because most people complete the degree program without needing to do the foundation program. They are 2 separate programs not one longer program. Also the foundation program is available for entry to different programs so not part of your specific degree program.

Reactions: twranks