+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I Work when I waiting for PR if I have a valid work permit?

xavieryl

Apr 23, 2020
hi all,
I found the following statement on the official website of IRCC, for sponsorship of spouse or partner (family class application).
"Remember that while your spouse or partner's permanent residence application is being processed, they must:
-maintain legal status as a visitor, student or worker in Canada, AND
-wait for their work permit application to be approved before starting to work".
Does it mean that I cannot work even if I have a valid work permit when I applied PR and the open work permit under sponsorship.

Thank you so much.

arajoba

Nov 6, 2019
hi all,
I found the following statement on the official website of IRCC, for sponsorship of spouse or partner (family class application).
"Remember that while your spouse or partner's permanent residence application is being processed, they must:
-maintain legal status as a visitor, student or worker in Canada, AND
-wait for their work permit application to be approved before starting to work".
Does it mean that I cannot work even if I have a valid work permit when I applied PR and the open work permit under sponsorship.

Thank you so much.
If you currently have a valid open work permit, you can work. PR application class is irrelevant if you already are worker by status.