+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I work in Quebec on PR

av

Jan 21, 2015
Guys,

I got my PR stamped (CEC, PNP - No) and mentioned target province as Ontario. Currently I am out of Canada and planning for lending in Jan. I may get a job offer from Quebec so can someone please help to understand below

1. Can I do landing in Montreal i mean anywhere in Quebec, if not then
2. Can I do landing in Toronto and then move to Quebec for Job

Thanks,
AV

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1 - You can land in Montreal but it better not be your final destination. If your intention of residing in Quebec is clear then the officer has every right to reject your PR or worse.

2 - Sure, although there is people in this forum that like to say that it can have an effect on your potential application for citizenship.

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
1 - You can land in Montreal but it better not be your final destination. If your intention of residing in Quebec is clear then the officer has every right to reject your PR or worse.

2 - Sure, although there is people in this forum that like to say that it can have an effect on your potential application for citizenship.
What about PRs who have already done their landing. E.g., I have a PR (landed in Ontario last year). Now I have a job offer from Montreal. I did not go through the Quebec immigration system. Do I need anything else to be able to live and work there?

If I move to Montreal and live there for 3 years and then apply for citizenship, will there be any issues that I did not go through Quebec immigration system and lived there?

Note that I did spend two weeks or so Toronto after landing. I also have a valid PR card.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What about PRs who have already done their landing. E.g., I have a PR (landed in Ontario last year). Now I have a job offer from Montreal. I did not go through the Quebec immigration system. Do I need anything else to be able to live and work there?

If I move to Montreal and live there for 3 years and then apply for citizenship, will there be any issues that I did not go through Quebec immigration system and lived there?

Note that I did spend two weeks or so Toronto after landing. I also have a valid PR card.
You're free to live anywhere.

OdinNguyen

Mar 30, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Isn't Express Entry clearly stated that you must not intend to live in Quebec? I'm not a lawyer, but If I were you I will stay away from Quebec until I got citizenship.

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
Isn't Express Entry clearly stated that you must not intend to live in Quebec? I'm not a lawyer, but If I were you I will stay away from Quebec until I got citizenship.
I do remember reading that condition on (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html)
"Other requirements
  1. You must be admissible to Canada. Find out more about inadmissibility
  2. You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec"

However it's ambiguous. I did not intent to live in Quebec anyway (I don't know a single word of French). I had a job offer in Toronto but they retracted it coz the company went bust before I could join! Then I got another one from Montreal that's good enough.

I already have my PR card and everything. The only problem is I have lived in Toronto for less than two weeks. So if I take this job and move there and live there for over 3 years now while applying for citizenship will it be an issue. It was never my "intention" to move to Quebec....

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please see my reply above. My main concern is any issues while applying for citizenship after getting PR through FSW and (possibly) living in Quebec for 3 years.
That's been addressed already in my first response to the OP. There are different views regarding this in the forum. I have already stated my response.

anthorana

Sep 17, 2018
Hello all,

Im in the same situation, got PR card from Ontario and job offer from Montreal.

In terms of process, how does it work?
- Do I keep my Ontario Pr Card?
- for healthcare
- driving license

Thank you

Stefay

Jan 8, 2021
I do remember reading that condition on (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html)
"Other requirements
  1. You must be admissible to Canada. Find out more about inadmissibility
  2. You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec"

However it's ambiguous. I did not intent to live in Quebec anyway (I don't know a single word of French). I had a job offer in Toronto but they retracted it coz the company went bust before I could join! Then I got another one from Montreal that's good enough.

I already have my PR card and everything. The only problem is I have lived in Toronto for less than two weeks. So if I take this job and move there and live there for over 3 years now while applying for citizenship will it be an issue. It was never my "intention" to move to Quebec....
It is clearly mentioned "You must plan to live in outside Qc". Ok just Plan it.
They cannot not legally demonstrate that you planed before landing, to settle in Qc. They will never try to, it is a waste of time since Art.06 "Canadian Charter of right and.." clearly states that a PR is free to move, work and study everywhere in Canada.

Even if during citizenship interview you were asked why you stayed 1095 days in Quebec right after landing and you would answer :"because I changed my mind". That just cant do anything but proceed you citizen application.

Reactions: win189

Ben02929

Feb 23, 2022

Did you get an update ? I'm in the same situation as yours. I hope you will reply back :(