+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I work here when my work permit runs out while waiting on an extension?

alfonz1234

Jun 24, 2011
I applied for an extension to my permit of another year, I have had to change address and can find now way of updating my address with the relevant embassy in Europe, i have tried emailing them but they don't reply and have no phone number to ring them on. I have about six months left on my permit and my job is stable and want to keep me on indefinitely, my question is can I continue to work while waiting for my extension as my boss is keen to keep me on?

thanks in advance

rob21

Nov 26, 2009
From a conversation I had at the local CIC office you can contiinue working while waiting for a new permit. It is called "Implied Status"

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

alfonz1234 said:
I applied for an extension to my permit of another year, I have had to change address and can find now way of updating my address with the relevant embassy in Europe, i have tried emailing them but they don't reply and have no phone number to ring them on. I have about six months left on my permit and my job is stable and want to keep me on indefinitely, my question is can I continue to work while waiting for my extension as my boss is keen to keep me on?

thanks in advance
You mention an Embassy in Europe. If you are applying for a new International Experience Canada work permit overseas, then no you can't continue working once the IEC you have now expires.

alfonz1234

Jun 24, 2011
PMM said:
Hi

You mention an Embassy in Europe. If you are applying for a new International Experience Canada work permit overseas, then no you can't continue working once the IEC you have now expires.
Thanks for the replies, PMM can I ask you what you are basing this info on, I cant find any confirmation in relation to the fact it is an overseas embassy that means i wont be able to get a further 8 weeks to sort out the extension

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

alfonz1234 said:
Thanks for the replies, PMM can I ask you what you are basing this info on, I cant find any confirmation in relation to the fact it is an overseas embassy that means i wont be able to get a further 8 weeks to sort out the extension
Well you have left us guessing what type of work permit that you have. Since it appears you dealing with an overseas embassy, I guessed that it is an IEC (International Experience Canada) IEC work permits are not extendable. Depending on your citizenship, you can get a 2nd year. Look through the Operational Bulletins

From the FW manual

may not request to extend their stay under IEC unless the extension is within the original
authorized period of stay as per their LOI.

Repeat participation
In general, foreign nationals applying under a bilateral arrangement are permitted to benefit from
the IEC program twice in their lifetime. They generally need to apply under a different category
(i.e., Working Holiday, International Co-op Young Professionals) each time. The two stays must
be discontinuous. See “Formal Bilateral Arrangements” under Appendix E for details.

alfonz1234

Jun 24, 2011
hey

Im Irish so might be a different case though I am not sure how different but believe the Irish nationals are getting a second year here, maybe you know better PMM about this but I think I might be able to get the implied status as a result, though I know generally IECs are not extendable, but in Ireland they r giving them out for 2 years as far as I am aware

PMM said:
Hi

Well you have left us guessing what type of work permit that you have. Since it appears you dealing with an overseas embassy, I guessed that it is an IEC (International Experience Canada) IEC work permits are not extendable. Depending on your citizenship, you can get a 2nd year. Look through the Operational Bulletins

From the FW manual

may not request to extend their stay under IEC unless the extension is within the original
authorized period of stay as per their LOI.

Repeat participation
In general, foreign nationals applying under a bilateral arrangement are permitted to benefit from
the IEC program twice in their lifetime. They generally need to apply under a different category
(i.e., Working Holiday, International Co-op Young Professionals) each time. The two stays must
be discontinuous. See “Formal Bilateral Arrangements” under Appendix E for details.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

alfonz1234 said:
hey

Im Irish so might be a different case though I am not sure how different but believe the Irish nationals are getting a second year here, maybe you know better PMM about this but I think I might be able to get the implied status as a result, though I know generally IECs are not extendable, but in Ireland they r giving them out for 2 years as far as I am aware
Nope, from Ireland.gc.ca

Another important change is that program participation has been expanded up to two one-year periods. You will need to re-apply if you wish to repeat as a participant, but this change means that you can continue your stay in Canada after one year or travel again several years apart. The choice is yours!

No implied status while you wait for the second year LOI>

alfonz1234

Jun 24, 2011
PMM perhaps you didnt read or get my initial question cos i said I had already applied for my second year extension, thanks anyway for ur help!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

alfonz1234 said:
PMM perhaps you didnt read or get my initial question cos i said I had already applied for my second year extension, thanks anyway for ur help!
It appears that you didn't understand the answer. The second year IEC is NOT an extension, is a separate 1 year OWP . So you are applying for a new IEC, not extension, so when you present IEC ends, there is no implied status, you stop work, until you get your new Letter of Introduction and then you go to the border and apply for a new OWP.

alfonz1234

Jun 24, 2011
PMM said:
Hi

It appears that you didn't understand the answer. The second year IEC is NOT an extension, is a separate 1 year OWP . So you are applying for a new IEC, not extension, so when you present IEC ends, there is no implied status, you stop work, until you get your new Letter of Introduction and then you go to the border and apply for a new OWP.
I see what u mean, ok well Ill see what happens as I have a good bit of time for the new one to come thru if they ever actually get back to me

ta!

Ryathe

Star Member
May 1, 2012
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2012
File Transfer...
30-10-2012
Med's Done....
24-08-2012
Passport Req..
3-1-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-1-2013
LANDED..........
23-1-2013
Hi,

I know it's been ages since this topic was started but I was just curious - alfonz1234 - how did it go? Did you get your extension of IEC? :)