+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I work from any other province apart from the one mentioned at time of filing the work permit

May 10, 2018
Hi Everyone,
I have got my work permit under the NOC 2171. while filing I have put the work location as Calgary. My question is whether I can land in Toronto and can work from there as It would always be work from home or Is there any other procedure I have to follow?

Thanks in Advance.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hi Everyone,
I have got my work permit under the NOC 2171. while filing I have put the work location as Calgary. My question is whether I can land in Toronto and can work from there as It would always be work from home or Is there any other procedure I have to follow?

Thanks in Advance.
I am not sure but it can arise a problem in future. If its work from home, why not from your home country. Why to take chances, rest is your wish but think about it.

May 10, 2018
I am not sure but it can arise a problem in future. If its work from home, why not from your home country. Why to take chances, rest is your wish but think about it.
I meant to say, my company wants me to go to Toronto. Can I go directly there or any kind of extra paperwork is required?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi Everyone,

Thanks in Advance.
If your work location states Calgary , then it would be Calgary . In other words if the permit is location specific, then you’d work at that location . As noted, if your work is remote , then it would be counter productive for you even to have to be in Canada .
In other words you could be in your home country doing this work . Don’t play with fire

Sep 16, 2022
Well i am also sailing in the same boat
- I have a WP closed one (TFWP) and I am in BC, all my work is remote but with a condition that the person should be in Canada or US only ( hence rejecting the option of working from the home country)

So in principal I will continue to earn in BC wherein my tax from Salary will be deducted but i will stay in any province - I have checked with multiple ppl and consultants no one is sure is there any legal issues with this?
Considering in future I have to file for the PR and don't want any issue I am confused

Any suggestions will be welcomed

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well i am also sailing in the same boat
- I have a WP closed one (TFWP) and I am in BC, all my work is remote but with a condition that the person should be in Canada or US only ( hence rejecting the option of working from the home country)

So in principal I will continue to earn in BC wherein my tax from Salary will be deducted but i will stay in any province - I have checked with multiple ppl and consultants no one is sure is there any legal issues with this?
Considering in future I have to file for the PR and don't want any issue I am confused

Any suggestions will be welcomed
Why would there be a location specified on a WP if a WP wasn’t location specific? Your employer may require you to work in Canada or the US but if they didn’t specify that your job would be remote and included a location you need to stick to the location. If it specifies Canada as the location then you could move anywhere. You need to speak to an immigration lawyer not a consultant if you want advice.

tk87

Jun 13, 2022
Your employer has to make sure to deduct taxes and all according to the location mentioned on your Work permit.

If it's work from home, you can work from any place ( Be it toronto or Calgary). [ But don't claim OTB or any other Ontario specific benefits while filing your tax returns as officially you are not supposed to work from Toronto].

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Your employer has to make sure to deduct taxes and all according to the location mentioned on your Work permit.

If it's work from home, you can work from any place ( Be it toronto or Calgary). [ But don't claim OTB or any other Ontario specific benefits while filing your tax returns as officially you are not supposed to work from Toronto].
When they file their personal income taxes it’ll ask province if residency. They’ll say Ontario and get flagged living in Ontario. As well they pay their Ontario Healthcare Premium by filing their taxes .
OTB is just a side benefit . They cannot avoid the Ontario Healthcare Premium, since , hence , they’ll supposedly be living in Ontario and holding a OHIP card

tk87

Jun 13, 2022
When they file their personal income taxes it’ll ask province if residency. They’ll say Ontario and get flagged living in Ontario. As well they pay their Ontario Healthcare Premium by filing their taxes .
OTB is just a side benefit . They cannot avoid the Ontario Healthcare Premium, since , hence , they’ll supposedly be living in Ontario and holding a OHIP card
of course he/she will have to forego OHIP benefits as well. No where in any of the government documents, his residency should say Ontario.

I wouldn't recommend it.