+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I work even though I have 3 part time semesters left?

cmcara

Sep 18, 2018
I was a full time student, but because I am only finishing my thesis I default to taking on one credit a semester until I finish, which is 3 more semesters. Can I work?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You could always work 20 hours a week. Is this normal for your program Im thinking it might affect your PGWP to be part time for 3 semesters.

Reactions: cmcara

cmcara

Sep 18, 2018
Is there.. a piece of something from the Canadian government that states that this is permissible? I would love to be working part time already.

In terms of "normal" - yes - in that no student I know in my year and the previous years (except for 3- 4 students) have completed their thesis on the date that the program projected. The PGWP does not apply to me. I am obtaining a work permit through another way.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Is there.. a piece of something from the Canadian government that states that this is permissible? I would love to be working part time already.

In terms of "normal" - yes - in that no student I know in my year and the previous years (except for 3- 4 students) have completed their thesis on the date that the program projected. The PGWP does not apply to me. I am obtaining a work permit through another way.
Checked again and it actually says you are only allowed to work as part time student if it your last semester so not sure how it works if you have 3 part time semesters.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html

If you are no longer a full-time student, you can still work off campus if you meet both of these requirements:

• you have been a full-time student since you started your program in Canada
  • you are now studying part time only because this is your last semester, and you do not need a full course load to complete your program

cmcara

Sep 18, 2018
Yes see that's the thing I understand that- but I was in full time studies until I reaching the point where I had to finish thesis. I am not choosing to enrol part time, but have defaulted to it as a consequence. Does that make sense? So in my mind, I am in an "extended" last semester for another year. I suppose I might need to chat with a lawyer for clarification?

Thanks for helping me!

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Yes see that's the thing I understand that- but I was in full time studies until I reaching the point where I had to finish thesis. I am not choosing to enrol part time, but have defaulted to it as a consequence. Does that make sense? So in my mind, I am in an "extended" last semester for another year. I suppose I might need to chat with a lawyer for clarification?

Thanks for helping me!
So are you saying that the program requires all students to extend their last semester in order to finish their thesis? Or its just you? I would assume IRCC will look at the what the university date of completion for the program and compare to what is your actual date of completion. It will also state on your transcripts which semester you were part time and full time.

So technically, you are not suppose to work part time unless you are only a part time student in your final semester but you are not in your final semester if you have 3 more terms to finish.