+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I visit to United States with a valid work permit of Canada and expired Visa

nislava

Oct 18, 2012
Hi All,

I am currently living in Canada on temporary work permit. I hav extended my work permit till March 2013, but I don't have valid Canadian VISA. Meanwhile I would like to go to United States on Visitor Visa ( holding my valid US VISA already) at this situation.

1)Will I hav any problem in Visiting to US without my valid canadian VISA????????

2) Do I hav any other option to stamp VISA on my passport without going back to my home country?

Thank You!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

nislava said:
Hi All,

I am currently living in Canada on temporary work permit. I hav extended my work permit till March 2013, but I don't have valid Canadian VISA. Meanwhile I would like to go to United States on Visitor Visa ( holding my valid US VISA already) at this situation.

1)Will I hav any problem in Visiting to US without my valid canadian VISA????????

2) Do I hav any other option to stamp VISA on my passport without going back to my home country?

Thank You!
1. No, as long as you only go to the US or St. Pierre et Miquelon and return before your work permit expires.
2. You know that you can apply apply for a new TRV at CPP-Ott? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/canada/ottawa.asp

manasa09

Aug 16, 2012
As long as you visit US by road, your valid work permit is sufficient for travel. You do not need to have a Canadian visa to come back to Canada from US.

I travelled to US without TRV by car and came back to Canada twice in the past.

Senior

Star Member
Jan 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 10, 2012
AOR Received.
Aug 30, 2012
Not only road, you can travel by air as well on a valid work permit (with out valid visa )

canadavisamohit

Star Member
Mar 6, 2012
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2013
AOR Received.
09-04-2013
Med's Request
16-01-2014
Med's Done....
21-01-2014
Passport Req..
07-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-02-2014
YES DEFINETELY YOU CAN. I HAD SAME SITUATION LAST YEAR. I HAD WORK PERMIT BUT VISA WAS EXPIRED SO I CALLED CANADA IMMIGRATION AND THEY SEND ME EMAIL BELOW:
Sir, Madam,

Thank you for contacting the Call Centre. I am pleased to provide you with the requested information:

Generally, a new single-entry Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or a multiple-entry TRV is necessary to re-enter Canada as a visitor, student or worker.

As an exception, you can ask to re-enter Canada on your original TRV, even if it is expired, if:

you will only visit the U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon and you will return to Canada before the end of your authorized stay.

An officer will question you to make sure you meet all of the requirements before allowing you to re-enter Canada. If you visit any country other than those listed above, you will need a new TRV.

The Internet links below will provide you with more detailed information:

Description: List of countries whose citizens need a temporary resident visa to enter Canada
Address: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

Description: Application for a Temporary Resident Visa
Address: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp

Description: Where to apply
Address: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp

nislava

Oct 18, 2012
Hi All,

Really thank you for the valuable reply. I am happy that I can go to US to visit my brother family and return back without any issues.

Regards,
Nislava

steveD

Dec 4, 2012
Hi all members,

I have a little confusion.

I am an international student & have finished my study & currently working in bank since last 1 year on my PGWP.

My PGWP is going to expire on August 29. 2014.

Meanwhile. i want to apply for US visitor visa.

My confusion is, i dont have canadian multiple visa(TRV).

so Am i eligible to apply for US visitor visa?

if i get a US visitor visa, will my work permit be suffice to enter back to canada?

please help me as soon as possible.

y67zhang

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
AOR Received.
21-1-2013
Med's Request
13-11-2013
Med's Done....
14-11-2013
Passport Req..
02-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-12-2013 (received on the 18th)
LANDED..........
23-12-2013
Hi based on my understanding you'll need a valid Canadian visa to be able to apply for a US visitor visa. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

RanjithP

Feb 20, 2012
steveD said:
Hi all members,

I have a little confusion.

I am an international student & have finished my study & currently working in bank since last 1 year on my PGWP.

My PGWP is going to expire on August 29. 2014.

Meanwhile. i want to apply for US visitor visa.

My confusion is, i dont have canadian multiple visa(TRV).

so Am i eligible to apply for US visitor visa?

if i get a US visitor visa, will my work permit be suffice to enter back to canada?

please help me as soon as possible.
A valid work permit should suffice as per below information from CIC website. See parts in bold.

"I have a temporary resident visa. Can I leave Canada and come back?
Single-entry temporary resident visa

•If you have a single-entry temporary resident visa, you will generally need a new single-entry visa to come back to Canada.
You can request to return to Canada on your original single-entry temporary resident visa, if:
◦you will only visit the U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon; and
◦you will return to Canada before the end of your approved stay in Canada.

Multiple-entry temporary resident visa

•Yes, you can come back to Canada, if you have a multiple-entry temporary resident visa and it has not expired.
Expired temporary resident visa

You can request to return to Canada on your original temporary resident visa, even if it is expired, if:
◦you will only visit the U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon; and
◦you will return to Canada before the end of your approved stay in Canada.

An officer will confirm whether you meet all the requirements before allowing you to come back to Canada. If you visit any country other than those listed above, you will need a new temporary resident visa."

kushari

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
22-06-2012
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2014
LANDED..........
27/03/2014
y67zhang said:
Hi based on my understanding you'll need a valid Canadian visa to be able to apply for a US visitor visa. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
No you don't need a valid Canadian visa. You only need status in Canada. A work permit or study permit gives you that. A vid only lets you enter the country.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
True in theory, but I would add that if you hold a study/work permit, make sure you are currently enrolled/were enrolled in school that year or currently employed. If not, then a border officer could argue you have no basis to be in Canada.

Two weeks ago, someone in the foreign worker section travelled to the US with a closed work permit. At the port of entry, the border officer asked whether he was employed, he wasn't. He was told something to the effect of not having legal status to be in Canada, made to wait hours but was eventually allowed entry.

I know CIC is currently working to close this loophole for foreign students and it is something to watch out for even for foreign workers. I guess the take home message is, if you hold a permit but aren't doing what it was issued for, it is safer to remain in Canada.

kushari said:
No you don't need a valid Canadian visa. You only need status in Canada. A work permit or study permit gives you that. A vid only lets you enter the country.

steveD

Dec 4, 2012
SenoritaBella said:
True in theory, but I would add that if you hold a study/work permit, make sure you are currently enrolled/were enrolled in school that year or currently employed. If not, then a border officer could argue you have no basis to be in Canada.

Two weeks ago, someone in the foreign worker section travelled to the US with a closed work permit. At the port of entry, the border officer asked whether he was employed, he wasn't. He was told something to the effect of not having legal status to be in Canada, made to wait hours but was eventually allowed entry.

I know CIC is currently working to close this loophole for foreign students and it is something to watch out for even for foreign workers. I guess the take home message is, if you hold a permit but aren't doing what it was issued for, it is safer to remain in Canada.
Hi

Yes I am currently employed in one of the well known bank.
I am working through agency. and agency gave me a employment letter.
But again my question is do they need a full time employment?
Because i am working on a contract basis.
and My contract is going to end in the end of end of January 2013. And its likelyhood that they will extend it.
What kind of supporting document i need to make my case strong?
I have all the pay stubs, timesheets, quarterly tax receipt and strong bank balance.

Reply me as soon as possible.

y67zhang

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
AOR Received.
21-1-2013
Med's Request
13-11-2013
Med's Done....
14-11-2013
Passport Req..
02-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-12-2013 (received on the 18th)
LANDED..........
23-12-2013
SenoritaBella said:

Hi Senorita, could you please clarify? I always thought that in order to apply for a US visitor (travel/leisure) visa, you'll need to have a Canada TRV in place. At least I saw it in the requirement when I applied for my US visitor visa 2 years ago. Here is my situation:
- Employed fulled time in Canada
- On PGWP (till 2014)
- Canada TRV expired

In my case, are you inferring that I can apply for a US visitor visa without obtaining a new TRV?

Thanks!

akhil5293

Sep 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Yes
Passport Req..
15-12-16
VISA ISSUED...
21-12-16
LANDED..........
30-12-16
Applying for US Visa while Canadian Visa expires but holding a Valid PGWP

Hi,

So, this is the situation, I'm holding a valid PGWP and need to apply for US visa, but my canadian visa is expired, do I need to get the Canadian visa first or I can just apply for US visa, what I'f US embassy will ask me to get the Canadian Visa stamp first