+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I visit my native country after I applied for citizenship in Canada

D-Mac01

Jan 5, 2014
Hi all,
I'm a permanent resident in Canada and going to apply for citizenship soon so am wondering if can visit my family in my native country for about 2 months after applying for citizenship and return without any problems or losing my residency in Canada? This is because I was a conventional refugee and I have heard that you cannot visit your native country if you are a conventional refugee or you will no long be a permanent resident in Canada and not allow to enter back in Canada from your visit....
Any advise/clarification would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

ramsfe

Nov 15, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
D-Mac01 said:
Hi all,
I'm a permanent resident in Canada and going to apply for citizenship soon so am wondering if can visit my family in my native country for about 2 months after applying for citizenship and return without any problems or losing my residency in Canada? This is because I was a conventional refugee and I have heard that you cannot visit your native country if you are a conventional refugee or you will no long be a permanent resident in Canada and not allow to enter back in Canada from your visit....

Thanks!
Hello D-Mac,

I suggest that you don't visit your home country as long as you are not canadian, a refugee is someone who is in danger in his home country, my suggestion is that you don't play with fire because you have to be a PR in order to become canadian, and if there is a 0.1% that they question your status, then it's already too much, mostly, I suggest that you call CIC to ask, they will surely have a clear answer to your question, and don't worry, they can't question your status just because you asked a question...

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
D-Mac01 said:
I agree with Ramsfe, but will add a few things for emphasis.

This could be considered "reavailment", meaning you are "reavailing" yourself of the protection of your home country again by entering its borders. The CIC could use such a trip to revoke your initial refugee claim, which would also result in the revocation of your PR status. And if you're not a PR, you cannot become a citizen.

I highly recommend you not go until you get Cdn citizenship and even at that point I would recommend asking a refugee lawyer to be on the safe side (if you are in Ontario you can find a cheap or free option through the neighbourhood legal clinics or settlement agencies). If you go 2 months after applying for citizenship, you may still receive RQ and you would need to report this trip in the RQ. Additionally when you go for your citizenship test a CIC official will check your passport/travel document and ask you about any travel. While the CIC citizenship division denies using RQ and citizenship process as a "fishing expedition" for revocation and deportation of Convention Refugees, it is a hypothetical possibility. And clearly, there's a lot to lose.

diniga

Star Member
Aug 22, 2013
You are playing with fire my friend.
It is clear if you do some research on the net.
A refugee is someone who is seeking refuge because he is not able to live properly in his country or even unable to stay in his country.
So if you go back to your home country, it means there is no harm there for you to stay in. and you are no more a refugee.
If CIC Agent find out you just come back from your home country then it is sufficient for him to deny your citizenship and ask for a PR revocation. As simple as that.
I suggest you to do no go back directly to your country.
Maybe afer you become citizen and that the conditions change in your country but not now.

Highlander2014

Dec 11, 2013
diniga said:
You are playing with fire my friend.
It is clear if you do some research on the net.
A refugee is someone who is seeking refuge because he is not able to live properly in his country or even unable to stay in his country.
So if you go back to your home country, it means there is no harm there for you to stay in. and you are no more a refugee.
If CIC Agent find out you just come back from your home country then it is sufficient for him to deny your citizenship and ask for a PR revocation. As simple as that.
I suggest you to do no go back directly to your country.
Maybe afer you become citizen and that the conditions change in your country but not now.
Actually, it is not this black and white. I have a friend who was refugee status but he was able to return to his home country to visit because the situation there had gotten better (i.e. war, and the threat to his life, had ended.)

Just make sure you are open, honest and communicate your intentions properly.

diniga

Star Member
Aug 22, 2013
Highlander2014 said:
Actually, it is not this black and white. I have a friend who was refugee status but he was able to return to his home country to visit because the situation there had gotten better (i.e. war, and the threat to his life, had ended.)

Just make sure you are open, honest and communicate your intentions properly.
I don't know if you read my post : "Maybe afer you become citizen and that the conditions change in your country but not now."
Situation change is possible for a return but else I don't see any other option.
It is too risky. you know that citizenship is revocable if it is proven that you lied to CIC. there are cases that you can find on the net also.
In this case, the asylum seeker or refugee asked for peaceful location to stay because he said that his home country was risky for him and now going back without a situation change and plus with a PR status. too risky.

D-Mac01

Jan 5, 2014
Thanks a lot everyone. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and is taking into consideration. I would seek a refugee lawyer and other options like calling CIC and also try to find out if there is any changes in my country but I wont go now. Once again thanks a lot everyone. Its Greatly appreciated.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not worth the risk. The most straightforward argument for case law on re-availing yourself the protection of your country against which you claimed asylum is to return to the country. Put yourself in the shoes of CIC - why was it so dangerous that you fled but now its ok for you to return? And if its ok for you to return since Country conditions have changed why do you need Canada's protection any more? Don't waste your time calling CIC the person on the other end of the line may or may not answer your query correctly and in any case its not their duty to advice you how to follow the laws but they surely will enforce them when the time comes - will you use the "I spoke to X on date Y and he/she said it was ok?"

Merely using your national passport of the country you face persecution for any travel is already a bad move now you want to raise the bar. Once you are a Citizen its no longer an issue but it appears that many such citizens often have problem back home if their asylum claim was for political reasons when the 'home' government decide you are actually their citizen and your Canadian Nationality/Passport won't save you from dire consequences!

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
D-Mac01 said:
Hi all,

Thanks!
You're here because you are persecuted or in danger of losing your life for whatever reason in your home country, right? Now you are saying you can visit your home country without any concerns? LOL

I think CIC should send you back to your home country. No citizenship should be given to any refugees whose situation has changed and so who can return to their home country and live there safely.

So many bogus refugees in Canada!

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In response to D-Mac01 and others who came here as refugees who may read this, please know that many or most of us are proud that Canada (largely) honours the 1951 conventions and other international accords regarding refugees. I believe protecting refugees has and will continue to make Canada better.