+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I visit Canada on a tourist visa and find a job and apply for work permit or a permanent residen

harimurra

Feb 22, 2019
can anyone help me to get Answer??

Can I visit Canada on a tourist visa and find a job and apply for work permit or a permanent residence?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Sure you can do that come on a visit and apply for jobs nothing illegal in doing that although not something you should share either with a visit visa application or with CBSA on entry to the country as your reason for visiting.

Applying for a work permit not so straight forward given you would need to find an employer to sponsor an LMIA at cost and inconvenience to them to show by advertising/interviewing that no resident was available for the position. This process could take many months to complete and longer than your authorised visit stay which may be authorised by CBSA as a couple of weeks or max 6 months. Most employers cannot be bothered to go through the LMIA process unless someone has exceptional skills not available in Canada preferring even to only interview residents and not visitors.

As for PR sure you can do that as well but if you do not qualify before you come to Canada as a visitor then you would be assuming that you get an LMIA supported job offer to gain any extra points for Canadian experience so this could be a multi year long term objective.

Other common alternatives if not meeting the express entry or Canada experience requirements for PR would be a study permit followed by a PGWP.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html

Rockologist

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
Yesah, it seems advisable to not disclose you're looking for work coming in as a visitor, but I wonder about being honest with the in my case; my work permit is about to expire and my employer said they would not be able to renew my contract, so I'm applying to change my condition to visitor (I've lived here for almost a decade and was not prepared to move just yet, my employers kinda surprised me with the news). I'm in a relationship, so both of those reasons seem valid to request to extend my stay, but I also ant to look for work because I'm not interested in going back to a place I haven't lived in 10 years, and am hoping to get more work experience to boost my CRS points. I wonder if they'd be likely to turn down a work permit application as well after having converted one work permit to visitor to maintain status then getting another job...

Barbara2

May 6, 2019
Hey may I d
Yesah, it seems advisable to not disclose you're looking for work coming in as a visitor, but I wonder about being honest with the in my case; my work permit is about to expire and my employer said they would not be able to renew my contract, so I'm applying to change my condition to visitor (I've lived here for almost a decade and was not prepared to move just yet, my employers kinda surprised me with the news). I'm in a relationship, so both of those reasons seem valid to request to extend my stay, but I also ant to look for work because I'm not interested in going back to a place I haven't lived in 10 years, and am hoping to get more work experience to boost my CRS points. I wonder if they'd be likely to turn down a work permit application as well after having converted one work permit to visitor to maintain status then getting another job...
m you please? I would like for advice ss well hope things turned out good with your job.