+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can I visit Canada if I am ban from the US?

she0710

Jun 12, 2018
Hello!

I am wondering if I can visit Canada if I am ban from the US due to overstaying?

I was a minor when I migrated the the US so it was beyond my control, after less than a year of being there with no proper papers, my step father filled for me so I was in the process of getting my green card. however we kept getting denied and at one point when I was over the age of 18 I was illegally present and was in removal proceedings. I reapplied for my green card and got denied again a few years after. I voluntarily left the country. I never committed any crimes, I was a good student and graduated from college there.
Also I am married to a US citizen, and I am currently going through the US immigration process to return to the US so I have no plans to try and overstay my visit in Canada. I have a cousin there and would like to be able to visit for a few months, also she is an hr flight from where my husband lives in the US so if I am able to visit there for a few months my husband would be able to come visit me often.

Please what are my chances on getting a visitors visa?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello!

I am wondering if I can visit Canada if I am ban from the US due to overstaying?

I was a minor when I migrated the the US so it was beyond my control, after less than a year of being there with no proper papers, my step father filled for me so I was in the process of getting my green card. however we kept getting denied and at one point when I was over the age of 18 I was illegally present and was in removal proceedings. I reapplied for my green card and got denied again a few years after. I voluntarily left the country. I never committed any crimes, I was a good student and graduated from college there.
Also I am married to a US citizen, and I am currently going through the US immigration process to return to the US so I have no plans to try and overstay my visit in Canada. I have a cousin there and would like to be able to visit for a few months, also she is an hr flight from where my husband lives in the US so if I am able to visit there for a few months my husband would be able to come visit me often.

Please what are my chances on getting a visitors visa?
It's very hard to say.

You will have to declare your US immigration history in your TRV (visitor visa) application and this may have some impact on Canada's willingness to approve a TRV. (Note that Canada and the US share immigration information so you must by 100% truthful in your application to visit Canada otherwise you can expect to be refused and banned from Canada for 5 years for misrepresentation).

To be approved, you will want to demonstrate very strong ties to your home country / country of residence such as employment, property and assets. You want to show strong ties to demonstrate you have no plans on remaining in Canada long term.

A visit of a few months is far too long given your immigration history. A trip this long also demonstrates a complete lack of ties and will make IRCC concerned you may wish to remain in Canada beyond your allowed stay. You should request a trip of 2 weeks instead.

When you left the US will also play a role. If you've been outside of the US for a number of years - that will help your case. If you left the US within the last 12 months - then I think you should be expecting a refusal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanna

she0710

Jun 12, 2018
Honestly i have no ties to ghana at the moment, ive been in ghana for less than 2 years since i left the US and the entire time I have been working towards getting my paper work done to return to the US. Currently I am unemployed as its been impossible to find a job.
Im definitely not trying to over stay in Canada as my US immigration paper work is already in the works and wouldnt want to mess that up due to overstaying in camada as well.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Honestly i have no ties to ghana at the moment, ive been in ghana for less than 2 years since i left the US and the entire time I have been working towards getting my paper work done to return to the US. Currently I am unemployed as its been impossible to find a job.
Im definitely not trying to over stay in Canada as my US immigration paper work is already in the works and wouldnt want to mess that up due to overstaying in camada as well.
In that case the chances of a TRV being approved are most likely nil. With your immigration history and the fact the departure is still relatively recent, IRCC will want to see strong ties to your home country to approve you for a TRV. Not sure it's worth even applying. Although you certainly can if you want to. If you decide to apply, definitely keep the trip to 2 weeks - no longer.

she0710

Jun 12, 2018
In that case the chances of a TRV being approved are most likely nil. With your immigration history and the fact the departure is still relatively recent, IRCC will want to see strong ties to your home country to approve you for a TRV. Not sure it's worth even applying. Although you certainly can if you want to. If you decide to apply, definitely keep the trip to 2 weeks - no longer.
Would I qualify for the skilled workers express entry?
Or I’d have a hard time with that as well. I am a college graduate in accounting and i have 2+ years of work experience

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Would I qualify for the skilled workers express entry?
Or I’d have a hard time with that as well. I am a college graduate in accounting and i have 2+ years of work experience
You can apply to immigration through Express Entry. Provided you are 100% honest about your immigration history in your application, it won't be held against you. Note that only those applicants with 440+ points are currently being selected under Express Entry.

she0710

Jun 12, 2018
A
You can apply to immigration through Express Entry. Provided you are 100% honest about your immigration history in your application, it won't be held against you. Note that only those applicants with 440+ points are currently being selected under Express Entry.
Please What do you mean 440+ points ?
Theres a test to take?

she0710

Jun 12, 2018
Also would u advice i try and do the skilled workers express entry before I even try woth the visitors visa?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Also would u advice i try and do the skilled workers express entry before I even try woth the visitors visa?
No - I don't think it's worth trying for the visitor visa. I think refusal is guaranteed and you'll be wasting your money.