+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I use travel visa to enter Canada for my first PR landing

sosofafa9001

Feb 28, 2024
Hi all,

I received my PR confirmation outside of Canada and currently live in the United States.

I'm required to land in Canada in order to proceed to the next step for my PR. With the instructions they sent to me, I need to send my passport to Ottawa to get a one-time PR visa. However, I have a valid 10-year Canada travel visa, and I wonder if I can use the travel visa instead of getting a PR visa.

The reason I'm hesitant to send out my passport is that I found the current visa processing timeline is pretty uncertain, and my COPR expiration date is approaching.

Thank you!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi all,

I received my PR confirmation outside of Canada and currently live in the United States.

I'm required to land in Canada in order to proceed to the next step for my PR. With the instructions they sent to me, I need to send my passport to Ottawa to get a one-time PR visa. However, I have a valid 10-year Canada travel visa, and I wonder if I can use the travel visa instead of getting a PR visa.

The reason I'm hesitant to send out my passport is that I found the current visa processing timeline is pretty uncertain, and my COPR expiration date is approaching.

Thank you!
You need the actual copr which you will only get by submitting the passport - usually.