+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I use PR with old legal name when entering Canada?

tractorinio

Apr 5, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Given: I'm PR of Canada, reside in Ontario, and want to change my legal name to a new one.
After I change my name, I would like to continue using my current PR card with the old name for travelling so that it is consistent with my non-Canadian passport.

Question: after changing my legal name, does PR card ceases to be valid until I reissue it with the new name? Or it is valid and I can still use it when entering Canada?

Found information: didn't find clear answer in cic.gc.ca or canada.ca.
1. Here it says:
The surname (last name) and given names on your passport or travel document must be the same as the one on your birth certificate or Canadian citizenship certificate.
You must apply for a new passport or travel document if you’ve changed your name legally.
(last sentence is straightforward but doesn't include PR explicitly (though it probably is travel document too) and the first one assumes all recommendations are for those who were born in Canada or who is a citizen which is not the same as PR.)

2. And here it sounds like it is NOT required to update you PR:
What information cannot be corrected with this application?
-Legal name change
-Name change after marriage or divorce
-Signature
-Name change after adoption
If you wish to change this information, you will have to apply for a new card using
3. On the internet I see people mentioning how they travel with maiden names in passports a lot even though their name is different with no issues. But those are a bit different cases, plus maiden name change might be not the same as legal name change I guess.

Need help. Anyone had experience coming back to Canada with PR containing old legal name?
Thank you

Last edited:

tractorinio

Apr 5, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank for reply but how does this align with people entering Canada with PR containing their old maiden name?
I found a lot of topics on the forum where person's last name changed after marriage in the passport but PR card has old maiden name, and looks like CBSA doesn't have any issues with that.

Which probably means PR stays valid, no?

Or you mean something else?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Thank for reply but how does this align with people entering Canada with PR containing their old maiden name?
I found a lot of topics on the forum where person's last name changed after marriage in the passport but PR card has old maiden name, and looks like CBSA doesn't have any issues with that.

1. People just carry a copy of their marriage certificate to prove the name change.

Allen0412

Jul 25, 2019
HI

1. People just carry a copy of their marriage certificate to prove the name change.

same problem with mine. i just want to leave canada i already applied pr renewal last year. and ididnt hear anything from cic. i just want to know if i can use my new legal name change passport and my maiden name pr card to enter canada

tractorinio

Apr 5, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
See, my problem is actually a bit different, I'm not changing my name in my original passport - it stays old there, because it is not a Canadian passport. I'm changing my legal name in Canada only. That's why I'd prefer to have the same old name in my PR card without renewing it at all. This way the name on the tickets, PR and my original country passport will be consistent when I travel. It's like only my legal name INSIDE Canada will be different.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If your name change is legal in Canada, then your Canadian identification needs to represent that change. A PR card is valid Canadian identification.