+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i use my work visa to re enter Canada while waiting on PR card?

xanadu99

Jul 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-12-2016
AOR Received.
09-12-2016
I am from Ireland i currently work in NL on work visa, i have got copr, so if i land the next time i arrive in canada and apply for my PR card, can i leave Canada and return using my valid work permit?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Generally, previous TRV’s, work permits, study visa’s, etc are cancelled when the issue your immigration visa and COPR. They have, however been a few (very few IMO) comments from PR’s who have managed to use previous visas to board aircraft.

xanadu99

Jul 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-12-2016
AOR Received.
09-12-2016
Generally, previous TRV’s, work permits, study visa’s, etc are cancelled when the issue your immigration visa and COPR. They have, however been a few (very few IMO) comments from PR’s who have managed to use previous visas to board aircraft.
Thank you

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Although I have no knowledge here it is probable that since the ETA came in for visa exempts and travel has much more focus since then that trying to travel on what is possibly shown as a cancelled permit might not be a good risk to take only to find out at checkin. If the OP is going to be out of Canada for weeks probably just as easy to get a PRTD.

Unfortunate fact with this forum is that not enough people feedback on these scenarios whether they were successful or not. Even if they were doesn’t mean everyone would be anyway so still a risk given the guidelines should be clear that once a PR in the system everything else should get cancelled that had existed whilst a temp resident.

Ultimately OPs choice to weigh up the odds.

Last edited:

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Agreed. It would be risky showing up at the airport in hopes your old WP gets you in a plane. Chances are it won’t.

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
Airlines will insist on a PR card or PRTD.
However, if you can fly into the US and cross into Canada in a private non-commercial vehicle or by foot, your COPR and passport is enough to get you back into Canada. I confirmed this for myself by calling CBSA. If this takes you too far out of your way to your destination, then PRTD will be your only option, or waiting for your PR card (you'd have to have someone you trust forward it to you).