+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I Use My Settlements funds as proof of income for CERB?

tallguywithbeard

Dec 12, 2018
My wife and I immigrated to Canada on Jan 15th, 2020.

We had got about $16000 with us, just a bit over the minimum required settlement amount. As expected, it has not been easy to find a job here, and we were hoping to get at most a few interview calls within 2-3 months.
I am a graphic designer by profession. I spent the first month tailoring the resume, getting my cover letter ready, visited settlement services etc, all the pre-requisites to find work.
Then COVID-19 quarantined everything up, which was still fine... I love the response taken by the canadian govt on that front.

However, no company is hiring designers at the moment and I am unable to even score remote jobs. I used to have remote clients back in India, but even they have stopped delivering work.

So basically I am literally out of work thanks to the quarantine, have no income stream now.

Based on CERB's rules, I need this stipulation to be true:
  • Who had income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to the date of their application; and
I had an income way over $5000 in India, which we took in as settlement funds and deposited it in a canadian bank account.

Is it possible to consider this as self-employment income...since it is technically income I received "from abroad" and I do currently reside in Canada.

The wording of the rules aren't clear if I need to specifically show a $5000 income, which could have come from anywhere, but only after I shifted to Canada.

Tried searching online and in the forums about this, but no one seems to have considered settlement funds being equated to proof of income. (I can of course show how the income was earned in 2019 in India, and how the amount was transferred to Canada)

Would this work?

tallguywithbeard

Dec 12, 2018
In their FAQs it was listed

Does the minimum income of $5,000 have to be earned in Canada?
No.
The income does not have to be earned in Canada, but you need to reside in Canada.

Thus the question, I have earned more than $5000 outside Canada in the year 2019, which I've brought to canada and am now residing in Canada.

tallguywithbeard

Dec 12, 2018
I believe you should also be a resident during that 12 month period.
yea that's what I was confused about. I am planning to call their hotline tomorrow to gain more perspective but for now was just wondering if anyone else was aware of the conditions.

Because other than that everything in their requirements ticked off just fine.

At the start

Feb 2, 2018
Hey man

I am in the same situation as you
Can you tell me if we can apply for CERB if income was in India and also living in India and came to Canada in Jan 2020.

Help me brother
Thanks

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hey man

Can you tell me if we can apply for CERB if income was in India and also living in India and came to Canada in Jan 2020.

Help me brother
Thanks
And you lost your job here in Canada because of Covid ? Correct ?
If you didn’t , you are NOT eligible

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey man

Help me brother
Thanks
You can only qualify for CERB if you had a job in Canada and then lost that job in Canada due to CERB. If you never worked in Canada then you do not qualify.

At the start

Feb 2, 2018
I am working in petro Canada as a part time and my hours got reduced due to covid 19. I started job in Jan 2020 in Canada
Can I apply?