+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I use my passport and PR card for the virtual ceremony?

Strawberry91

Star Member
Dec 7, 2021
So I recently moved like 2 streets away from my previous place and my previous landlord is willing to give me my citizenship certificate. I didn’t want to change my address right before the finish line and wait even more after waiting for so long. The problem is I can’t show my driving license in ceremony because it shows my new address. And our health cards in Alberta don’t include our signature or picture. So I wanted to use my passport and PR card but it says if we use PR card, then the second identification must be Canadian Goverment issued one so can’t be passport. What do you think I can do? Thanks!

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
So I recently moved like 2 streets away from my previous place and my previous landlord is willing to give me my citizenship certificate. I didn’t want to change my address right before the finish line and wait even more after waiting for so long. The problem is I can’t show my driving license in ceremony because it shows my new address. And our health cards in Alberta don’t include our signature or picture. So I wanted to use my passport and PR card but it says if we use PR card, then the second identification must be Canadian Goverment issued one so can’t be passport. What do you think I can do? Thanks!
  • 2 pieces of personal identification (ID)
    • one piece of ID must have your photograph and signature, for example: driver’s licence, health card or permanent resident card
    • foreign ID documents must be government-issued, Canadian ones don’t need to be government-issued
    • if they’re not in English or French, you must provide a translation with an affidavit from the translator
    • minors are not required to show identification with a signature
So yes you can take your passport and PR card. Only one should have a photo, so I would submit PR and health card. If they don't accept the health card you can use your passport.

Reactions: Strawberry91

Strawberry91

Star Member
Dec 7, 2021
Thank you. But in the oath invitation mail, it says:

One of them can be your PR card, if your second piece of identification is Canadian federal, provincial or territorial issued ID. That’s what confuses me.. So the second one can’t be passport as it’s not Canadian ID. I might try using my health card but Alberta health card doesn’t contain photos or even signature I think. What do you guys think about that?

Strawberry91

Star Member
Dec 7, 2021
To be safe, take your passport, PR card, and health card. People who don’t drive use their health card all the time.
Alberta health card has only my name and health number on it. The other provinces have photograph etc but not Alberta. Hope they accept it. I have my passport, health card and PR card ready. I have my driving license as well but as I said it has the new address and can make things complicated and I have flight coming.. My oath is on Jan 4th and I wanna fly on Feb 20th. Do you think I should get the tickets before the ceremony to show them the tickets to send the certificate to me faster. I have plenty of time between those dates but sometimes they just recklessly don’t even ship the certificate on time(2-4 weeks) or it gets lost somewhere because they use the cheap mail delivery system, Canada Post..