+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I use less than 1 year old police certificate if I stayed in country A for less than 6 months

Tridentus

Dec 23, 2016
Hi everyone,

I wanted to clarify something about the validity of police certificates based on dates

Context:
Since turning 18, I've lived in Malaysia for about a year (continuously) and the rest have been in Canada (7-8 years). I annually visit Malaysia for 1-2 weeks. PGWP is expiring end of June 2019 and I need to submit my PR application to do BOWP

I've applied for 3 police certificates
1. Aug 2018 - Ready to submit (Not sure if can still use as it's almost a year old)
2. Feb 2019 - Applied while visiting Malaysia this year (Ready for pickup in Malaysia but unsure if can be used as I applied while I was visiting then)
3. May 2019 - Applied once in Canada (Not ready yet)

I'm wondering if:
1. Can I just use the Aug 2018 or Feb 2019 Police Cert based on what CIC indicated in the link below (My police certs do not have an expiry date and I did not stay in Malaysia for more than 6 six months)

Link:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/apply-permanent-residence/police-certificates.html?fbclid=IwAR1wAdudw7-JGw3G9ZwjfE9EAjIlEg3iDZ8upuHNcWMTPCLzzb6EL2_KUD4

Mr_Chang

Star Member
Dec 14, 2018
Hi everyone,

I wanted to clarify something about the validity of police certificates based on dates

Context:
Since turning 18, I've lived in Malaysia for about a year (continuously) and the rest have been in Canada (7-8 years). I annually visit Malaysia for 1-2 weeks. PGWP is expiring end of June 2019 and I need to submit my PR application to do BOWP

I've applied for 3 police certificates
1. Aug 2018 - Ready to submit (Not sure if can still use as it's almost a year old)
2. Feb 2019 - Applied while visiting Malaysia this year (Ready for pickup in Malaysia but unsure if can be used as I applied while I was visiting then)
3. May 2019 - Applied once in Canada (Not ready yet)

I'm wondering if:
1. Can I just use the Aug 2018 or Feb 2019 Police Cert based on what CIC indicated in the link below (My police certs do not have an expiry date and I did not stay in Malaysia for more than 6 six months)

Link:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/apply-permanent-residence/police-certificates.html?fbclid=IwAR1wAdudw7-JGw3G9ZwjfE9EAjIlEg3iDZ8upuHNcWMTPCLzzb6EL2_KUD4

Your answer is clearly stated in the link you have provided yourself. You can use the Feb 2019, even the Aug 2018 is valid. Since both those certificates are issued AFTER you've stayed in Malaysia for 6 months in a row.

For any other country
For any other country, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you stayed there for 6 months or more in a row.

Some countries put expiry dates on their police certificates. If you have a police certificate that expired, include it. We’ll accept it if:

• it was issued after the last time you stayed there for 6 months or more in a row
  • it is not for the country where you currently live
An officer may ask for a new one later on.

ECLN

Aug 23, 2018
Toulouse, France
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
I submitted a PCC issued in 2017, in 2018 I went to that country for 3 weeks. In 2019 I submitted my file. I got ppr yesterday. No issue with pcc

BillyWescott

May 24, 2019
Hi guys,

I resided in US, UK and Belgium for more than 6 months but none of these is my current country of residence (Luxembourg).

Do you know if police certificates (US, UK, Belgium) from 2017 that show my former address of residence (instead of current one) will be admitted? Or I should reorder all police certificates so that the address on the certificates match my current address of residence?

FYI, my passport shows my old address of residence which is the same as on my old police certificates, proving that I actually resided there at the time.