+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I use a Church marriage certificate temporarily?

Beefstick

Star Member
Jan 8, 2018
Hi folks,

This is my first post here but have been a lurker for a while. I am posting this after considerable use of the search engine not leading to much helpful info.

I and my wife got married under a Christian ceremony very recently, and as foolish as it may seem to many of you, we did not realize that a Church marriage is not considered legal.

It looks like I now have to fly back to India to register our marriage. The whole process will delay our application by at least a month or two (depending mainly on when I can fly out).

My question to you folks is this: Can I start the visa sponsorship process right now using the Church certificate, with a note in the application stating that I plan to send in the official government certificate once I get it?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi folks,

This is my first post here but have been a lurker for a while. I am posting this after considerable use of the search engine not leading to much helpful info.

I and my wife got married under a Christian ceremony very recently, and as foolish as it may seem to many of you, we did not realize that a Church marriage is not considered legal.

It looks like I now have to fly back to India to register our marriage. The whole process will delay our application by at least a month or two (depending mainly on when I can fly out).

My question to you folks is this: Can I start the visa sponsorship process right now using the Church certificate, with a note in the application stating that I plan to send in the official government certificate once I get it?
No, as you aren't legally married right now. If you submit an app while not legally married, the app will be rejected or returned to you.

You need to wait until you register the marriage and become legally married, and only then can you submit any application for PR.

Beefstick

Star Member
Jan 8, 2018
No, as you aren't legally married right now. If you submit an app while not legally married, the app will be rejected or returned to you.

You need to wait until you register the marriage and become legally married, and only then can you submit any application for PR.
Thank you Rob for your reply. I appreciate it a lot.

Vijay_VVG

Star Member
Jun 3, 2017
Hi folks,

Mate did CIC accept the certificate issued by the Church, ive submitted the same for my Express Entry profile and there ppl who say that its not acceptable.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Mate did CIC accept the certificate issued by the Church, ive submitted the same for my Express Entry profile and there ppl who say that its not acceptable.
You need to ask that in the Express Entry section of the forum. This section is for spousal sponsorship and the requirements aren't always the same.