+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I use a certified true copy of my passport for biometrics

atibspook

Sep 20, 2022
I just received my biometrics instruction letter, however my passport is not with me as of now.

I had it submitted to my university here for some visa processing which could take around 2 weeks (submitted on 19th). Thing is, my university always hands me a letter of acknowledgement whenever they take my passport. I have that letter and a certified true copy of the following pages stamped by the university: Main bio page, current visa page.
What does the VAC normally do with the passport? Do they need to mark anything on it as proof of biometrics being taken or would they only use the passport for identification?

My main question is, can I show the certified true copy of my passport (the main bio page and current visa status) during the biometrics collection?

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
In my experience, VFS stamped at the back of the passport a barcode with my information. I believe you are not allowed to give biometrics without the original document, but this is a question you should be asking your country's VFS directly.

Also, why are you submitting your original passport to your university? Is this because you studied at a university located in a country different than that of your nationality?

atibspook

Sep 20, 2022
Yes, that is correct. I had it sent to the university to process my student visa cancellation (since I've completed my course) and endorse my long term stay immediately after.
Also, just as you stated, I directly asked my local VFS regarding this issue and yes they confirmed the same thing which you did.

However that is not an issue anymore, turns out by some stroke of luck, just hours after posting this thread my university notified me that the passport was ready for collection. Had it collected just today and my biometric appointment is in 12 hours.

Decided to leave the thread open for answers in case anyone is in a similar situation.

Reactions: YVR123 and Geet7