+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can i travel USA and back to Canada on expired TRV but valid open work permit?

milo2015

Star Member
Dec 24, 2014
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
hello

i need to visit USA for an interview (employer needs one person in Canada). I have valid open work permit but TRV is expired as of May 2016.
Am i allowed to visit USA on expired canadian TRV? i have valid US visit Visa.

I am also ,inland PNP applicant and applied for immigration in August last year to Sydney,NS

Help will be really appreciated

kumar30

Star Member
Jun 17, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
29-01-2017
AOR Received.
29th Jan
Med's Done....
26th Nov
VISA ISSUED...
19-05-2017
milo2015 said:
hello

i need to visit USA for an interview (employer needs one person in Canada). I have valid open work permit but TRV is expired as of May 2016.
Am i allowed to visit USA on expired canadian TRV? i have valid US visit Visa.

I am also ,inland PNP applicant and applied for immigration in August last year to Sydney,NS

Help will be really appreciated
You can travel to US but you cannot travel back to Canada. Work permit is just permit, you will need VISA to travel and stay in Canada… You need to contact CIC and give them explanation on why you stayed back in Canada without a valid VISA and then apply for TRV. Normal TRV process takes just one week.

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
kumar30 said:
You can travel to US but you cannot travel back to Canada. Work permit is just permit, you will need VISA to travel and stay in Canada… You need to contact CIC and give them explanation on why you stayed back in Canada without a valid VISA and then apply for TRV. Normal TRV process takes just one week.
Actually if your visa has expired while you're in Canada there is no issue. You only need it to enter so no explanation necessary just apply for the new one.