+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I travel to Canada in my 5 year period after receiving PR and not meeting 730 days requirement?

bharry0101

Nov 24, 2017
Hi,

I have a Canadian Permanent Residency (PR) Card and am currently residing in Germany. I have an Indian Passport.

My Canadian Permanent Residency (PR) first landing and card was issued in Nov 2018 and is valid until November 2023.

Due to COVID and other personal circumstances unfortunately, I could be in Canada for around 4 to 5 months only so far. I will not be able to complete the required 730 days when the first 5 years period ends in Nov 2023, which I believe is a requirement to renew my PR card.

I need to visit Canada for a short duration to handle some Banking matters.
Considering my current situation, can I travel to Canada with my PR card?
Will immigration officers allow me to enter Canada? OR Do I need to get a Visitor Visa to travel to Canada?

Has anyone been in my situation before and was allowed to enter Canada?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Hi,

I have a Canadian Permanent Residency (PR) Card and am currently residing in Germany. I have an Indian Passport.

My Canadian Permanent Residency (PR) first landing and card was issued in Nov 2018 and is valid until November 2023.

Due to COVID and other personal circumstances unfortunately, I could be in Canada for around 4 to 5 months only so far. I will not be able to complete the required 730 days when the first 5 years period ends in Nov 2023, which I believe is a requirement to renew my PR card.

Will immigration officers allow me to enter Canada? OR Do I need to get a Visitor Visa to travel to Canada?

Yes, you can travel to Canada with your PR card.

Yes, they will let you in. They may report you for RO, but they won't deny you entry. (As a PR, you can't get any type of visa).

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

You are correct, but if you are accompanying your Canadian spouse or partner, those days in Germany could count.

As mentioned, you will be allowed to enter Canada. Whether or not the CBSA officer decides to issue a 44(1) report based on your failure to meet the Residency Obligation (R.O.), bombards you with questions as to why you have not met the R.O., or simply waves you through without any questions, is anyone's guess. You will only find out, when you are at Primary inspection with CBSA.

Reactions: bharry0101

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

R0 must be met in 5 years from your landing date. PR card expiry date isn’t related to RO. If you have financial accounts in Canada you may also be a tax resident. Have you contacted CRA about your residency and tax residency status?

gmajdoub

Jan 5, 2023
Yes, you can travel to Canada with your PR card.

Yes, they will let you in. They may report you for RO, but they won't deny you entry. (As a PR, you can't get any type of visa).
What about a person that works for canadian company abroad? Can they still report him for RO? And how to convince them not to?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What about a person that works for canadian company abroad? Can they still report him for RO? And how to convince them not to?
Perhaps you could elaborate and give us more info?

What is your situation?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
So, before travelling, one have to get a letter from the employer saying I am working abroad for such and such reason?
Were you hired in Canada and then assigned overseas on a contract (a specified period of time)?Is there a job for you in Canada when your assignment is finished overseas?

bharry0101

Nov 24, 2017
Thanks all for your response, very helpful :) . I don't wish to renew my PR card. I just wanted to know whether I can travel to Canada untill my PR card expires to sort out my things there, when clearly, I won't meet the 730 day requirement.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks all for your response, very helpful :) . I don't wish to renew my PR card. I just wanted to know whether I can travel to Canada untill my PR card expires to sort out my things there, when clearly, I won't meet the 730 day requirement.
Yes you’ll be able to enter with a valid PR card