+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I travel outside of Canada if my inland spousal sponsorship is in process?

SK94

Star Member
Mar 30, 2023
You can, however there is no obligation for CBSA to allow you back in the country. If that were to happen, your inland sponsorship would be voided.
That sucks. I have to go for a few weeks and it’s my sisters wedding so I can’t even miss that. Is there any point in asking for permission beforehand? What happens if my PR is approved while I’m abroad?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
That sucks. I have to go for a few weeks and it’s my sisters wedding so I can’t even miss that. Is there any point in asking for permission beforehand? What happens if my PR is approved while I’m abroad?
I think the thing to consider first is if you're likely to get refused entry. Anecdotally, it seems more of the short-visit abroad ones like yours, possibly more so if status was clear before and eg with passport that doesn't require a visa, are routinely let back in. It's no guarantee, but it seems they do not go out of their way to cause problems.

Compare to: ones I recall seeing with issues have been those who left without clear status for return, left for longer periods, and eg whose visa or whatever basis they originally came on expired.

That said: these are my recollections, you can try to search in the forum. But eg US citizens returning to USA for a few weeks seems to not be an uncommon situation.

I may be speculating a bit with this one but another common one might be NOT returning with a loaded pickup of stuff. I don't think they want to deal with people clearly moving - to stay - nor the customs implications. Pack consistent with travel.

SK94

Star Member
Mar 30, 2023
I think the thing to consider first is if you're likely to get refused entry. Anecdotally, it seems more of the short-visit abroad ones like yours, possibly more so if status was clear before and eg with passport that doesn't require a visa, are routinely let back in. It's no guarantee, but it seems they do not go out of their way to cause problems.

Compare to: ones I recall seeing with issues have been those who left without clear status for return, left for longer periods, and eg whose visa or whatever basis they originally came on expired.

That said: these are my recollections, you can try to search in the forum. But eg US citizens returning to USA for a few weeks seems to not be an uncommon situation.

I may be speculating a bit with this one but another common one might be NOT returning with a loaded pickup of stuff. I don't think they want to deal with people clearly moving - to stay - nor the customs implications. Pack consistent with travel.
Thank you for such a detailed response. I’ll explain my situation more clearly.
I came to Canada on a visit visa on the 19th of May. My husband is a Canadian citizen and we’re planning on submitting my PR application next week (I have no idea how it works, as in what responses I get and where I need to be when I get them)

My sister is getting married in February, and I was planning on visiting Pakistan in for about 3 weeks to join the celebrations, and then returning.

I have a few issues. February hits the exact 6 month mark and I’ve heard the processing time is 6 months for inland sponsorship. What happens if I receive a response while I’m in Pakistan?

Do you happen to know what I should expect to receive and when after my initial application?