+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I travel outside Canada with an accepted work permit but no physical copy of the permit?

pinco_pallino

May 15, 2024
Hi,
I applied for a renewal of my current work permit, which got promptly accepted, and I received the IMM5659 letter confirming the acceptance.
However I still have not received the physical copy of my work permit.

At this point, I am not sure what my status is.
Am I still on implied status? Implied status is defined until a decision has been made, and in this case a decision HAS been made, but at the same time, the IMM5659 letter is explicitly not a work permit.

So, my question is, am I allowed to leave Canada and re-enter as a worker in my current status?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5553-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html

The questions here do not seem exceedingly informative.
I guess I fall in the category of:
  • You may be allowed to come back to Canada as a worker, if the officer at the port of entry finds out that we extended your work permit while you were away.
But I would really like to receive a confirmation on this.

My job has told me that in case I leave while on implied status, they would have to pause my employment until they receive the WP.
Personally, I am ok with that, if it means that I can leave and come back as a worker without other issues from immigration.

Any input on this issue is appreciated,
Thanks a lot.