+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I travel outside Canada after applying for PGWP

jain12

Oct 16, 2015
Hi guys,

I will be finishing my last Masters semester in this december and intend to apply for the 3 yr PGWP after that, however I might have to go back to my home country as soon as my final exams end, for a few weeks. I would be returning by mid february and also, my study permit is valid till march-2017, but I'm not sure I will be allowed back by Canadian immigration when I try returning because my study permit will expire after 3 months of study
what should i do in this case?
should i apply after returning from inida? or should i apply and go back to india?
and second question is that can i apply simultaneously for pgwp and pnp (ontario)?

Thank you in advance,
Jainik Shah

vivian hsu

Nov 28, 2015
In my home country, it is possible to apply for PGWP but only through mailing, not through CIC online. Please check if it is possible for you to apply for your PGWP in your home country and the options to apply.

Or, you might want to come back in Canada then apply for PGWP online, but you really need to remember the 90 days rule in this case, and what if something happens and you are not able to come back in Canada within 90 days after completing your studies? No one actually knows... this is pretty much risky.

So I recommend you to apply for your PGWP before you go back to your country which is safe. And it should be okay for you to travel outside of Canada while on the process as long as your TRV is valid by the time you come back in Canada. Wish you luck!

MMMM23

Dec 3, 2015
I applied to PGWP on June 10th and is still processing. I left canada on June 2nd and came back on july 20th but my TVR was expired at the time, still the immigration officer was kind enough to allow me a one time entry to canada. Do you believe that my PGWP can be refused because I lost my student status on August 30th and by leaving I lost my implied status?

jain12

Oct 16, 2015
Thank you so much for your reply. due to christmas holiday in university, i will not be able to get my transcript and letter of completion. so i am planning to apply after coming back from india.
feb)
i also have 2nd question that when i will come back from india (18 feb) which documents do i need to show to canadian officer while entering canada and what to say at that time? should i tell them i am coming to apply for work permit or not?

nana789

Apr 20, 2016
Hello, I am in the same situation as you now. My program at college will be finished on May 6th, and I will go back to my country for a month. so Id like to know that how did it go?

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
nana789 said:
Hello, I am in the same situation as you now. My program at college will be finished on May 6th, and I will go back to my country for a month. so Id like to know that how did it go?
You should apply online for PGWP as soon you finish, before leave.

Be sure to.provide all forms, docs and fees.

PGWP processing time is longer than 1 month, so just provide CIC your new Canadian address if changed.

IMPORTANT.
I guess you can come back if your Student permit isn't already expired, anyways is better don't come back to close to the expiring date.

If you student permit is expired you cannot come back until get PGWP, or perhaps as visitor.

I strongly recommend to stay in Canada until get PGWP, you'll be allowed to stay and work under implied status after Student Permit expiration until get PGWP.

kag21394

Dec 16, 2014
Hi guys,

I will be finishing my last Masters semester in this december and intend to apply for the 3 yr PGWP after that, however I might have to go back to my home country as soon as my final exams end, for a few weeks. I would be returning by mid february and also, my study permit is valid till march-2017, but I'm not sure I will be allowed back by Canadian immigration when I try returning because my study permit will expire after 3 months of study
what should i do in this case?
should i apply after returning from inida? or should i apply and go back to india?
and second question is that can i apply simultaneously for pgwp and pnp (ontario)?

Thank you in advance,
Jainik Shah
I am in the same situation right now and I am confused, whether I apply and go to india or apply my pgwp after coming back.

Reactions: 17ha15

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
I am in the same situation right now and I am confused, whether I apply and go to india or apply my pgwp after coming back.
Hi, any update? I am in the same situation. I just graduated and I want to visit my country for 2 weeks before coming back to Canada. What is the safer solution? My TRV and study permit expires on march 2020.

mfern

Sep 25, 2019
Hi, any update? I am in the same situation. I just graduated and I want to visit my country for 2 weeks before coming back to Canada. What is the safer solution? My TRV and study permit expires on march 2020.
I did that this year. I graduate in April, applied for PGWP 2 days before visiting my home country. When I came back, I presented my study permit which was still valid to the officer and it was fine. Then, I waited for my PGWP here in Canada.

Reactions: 17ha15

17ha15

Oct 15, 2018
I did that this year. I graduate in April, applied for PGWP 2 days before visiting my home country. When I came back, I presented my study permit which was still valid to the officer and it was fine. Then, I waited for my PGWP here in Canada.
Thank you for your kind update. Did the officer ask you about your PGWP application? Or he/she just saw your valid study permit and trv and that’s it? Thanks again

mfern

Sep 25, 2019
Thank you for your kind update. Did the officer ask you about your PGWP application? Or he/she just saw your valid study permit and trv and that’s it? Thanks again
She didn't ask anything about my PGWP, I just showed her my valid study permit. If she had asked me something I would show her this that I had printed: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1309&top=15

I also had all my PGWP application papers with me in case she asked.