+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I travel on study permit for work when my college isn't on the DLI list?

Sep 1, 2020
Hello :)
Here's my situation: I have applied for a PGWP, which will likely be approved by March 2021. My study permit expires on the 30th of November 2020.
The college given on my study permit (which I graduated from) is not on the COVID-plan approved DLI list released recently by the Canadian government.

If I decide to travel to Canada before my study permit expires (for example, 10th of November), will I be allowed to enter the country even though my college isn't on the list? Because I would technically be travelling for work and not study?

Any advice or comments would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Edited to add: I don't have an offer letter for a job. I'm still on the lookout for one. Just in case it is relevant!

Last edited:

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here's my situation: I have applied for a PGWP, which will likely be approved by March 2021. My study permit expires on the 30th of November 2020.
The college given on my study permit (which I graduated from) is not on the COVID-plan approved DLI list released recently by the Canadian government.

If I decide to travel to Canada before my study permit expires (for example, 10th of November), will I be allowed to enter the country even though my college isn't on the list? Because I would technically be travelling for work and not study?

Edited to add: I don't have an offer letter for a job. I'm still on the lookout for one. Just in case it is relevant!
You cannot travel with study permit if your DLI is not on the list. Until your work permit is approved, you won't be considered as temp worker. You can't work since you lost your implied status when you left Canada. You may have to wait for work permit.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

The fact that you aren't actually studying anymore and have completed your program is likely to be an issue. You are not returning to study.

Sep 1, 2020
@bluffmaster88 @canuck78 @bongoman - my college has now been added to the DLI list and I am having a couple of interviews with companies in Canada.
Will there be a higher chance of my entry being permitted now that:
  • my college is cleared
  • I am in talks with local companies for employment
  • my PGWP application is made and I have a receipt of the submission
Please do let me know! Thanks