+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I travel during PR application process?

Rambo6o4

Feb 28, 2020
Hello guys,

I am a Canadian born citizen. I am applying to sponsor my wife from Asia. We live together and she is currently here for school.

My question is:
Can I travel to USA for 4 days during application process? Will it put my application at risk?

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hello guys,

I am a Canadian born citizen. I am applying to sponsor my wife from Asia. We live together and she is currently here for school.

My question is:
Can I travel to USA for 4 days during application process? Will it put my application at risk?
Yes you can. Your wife can travel as well but if she is denied entry into Canada on her way back the application will be seen as abandoned.

mohamedbarbary

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
Hello guys,

My question is:
do not take risk of travel , based on officer in border may refused to re enter again in this case application will cancel

Eli51

Jan 28, 2015
If I am doing inland spousel sponsorship & my wife the sponsor wants to travel to the us without me would it be ok for her to do that?

Savior

Star Member
May 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-01-2011
AOR Received.
01-03-2011
Med's Request
01-01-2013
Med's Done....
22-01-2013
Passport Req..
PPR 1 : 24-07-2013 PPR 2 : 15-08-2013
LANDED..........
23-10-2014
does your wife has valid Canadian Visa?

Rambo6o4

Feb 28, 2020
do not take risk of travel , based on officer in border may refused to re enter again in this case application will cancel
She will not be travelling.

I will be, I am a Canadian citizen. Are you saying I could be refused to reenter for random reasons or because I have an application in process and I’m not supposed to travel?

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
She will not be travelling.

I will be, I am a Canadian citizen. Are you saying I could be refused to reenter for random reasons or because I have an application in process and I’m not supposed to travel?
As Canadian citizen that doesn't apply to you. It would have applied to your wife if she was traveling with you or alone (because she is a visitor and it is not a guarantee that she will be allowed entry into Canada). You on the other hand can travel, and of course you can re-enter Canada... you are a citizen, won't have an effect on your application either (especially because it's a short trip). Unless you were leaving Canada for a much much longer time then you might not have qualified for inland sponsorship as it is a requirement that you live with your spouse in Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
I mean for inland spousel sponsorship & we also applied for a OWP
If she is a PR or Canadian citizen yes she can travel outside Canada and re enter while the application is in process. It is however not advised for her as your sponsor to take long trips that might make it look like she is not living with you (PA) in Canada during the application process....

michaeltoronto

Jan 14, 2020
Hello guys,

My question is:
You as a citizen can definitely travel and re-enter without a problem. Your wife can travel as well and re-enter provided that she has a valid study permit, eTA, visa, and passport. As mentioned by others, any long trips (i.e. longer than 2-3 weeks) can be seen as an indication that you're not cohabiting thus risking your application. Me (the principal applicant) and my partner were in a similar situation (my PR got approved this month) and I had no problem re-entering multiple times while the application was being processed.

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
If you filed for a extension though if the applicant leaves his extension gets cancelled
oh yes ... because they might get a visitor record when they re enter, if their passport isn't stamped then it's automatically 6 months