+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I take the FBI fingerprints myself?

Zoide

Star Member
Sep 15, 2014
Costa Rica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I need to request the FBI police certificate ahead of time in case I ever get an ITA.

Can I just print out the FD-258 PDF on a regular letter-sized sheet using my home inkjet and an ink pad to mark the fingerprints by myself?

If so, do I enter my own name/signature in the field for "SIGNATURE OF OFFICIAL TAKING FINGERPRINTS"?

Thanks

fsw2014 batch

Star Member
Sep 24, 2014
Yes you can. We did about six sets of prints and sent them. We left the section about the official taking fingerprints blank. Our ingerprints got accepted in the first attempt. So its do able. Give it a shot

MooseNBooze

Nov 6, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2016
Doc's Request.
22-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
22-01-2016
Passport Req..
22-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
03-05-2016
LANDED..........
25-12-2016
Zoide said:
I need to request the FBI police certificate ahead of time in case I ever get an ITA.

Can I just print out the FD-258 PDF on a regular letter-sized sheet using my home inkjet and an ink pad to mark the fingerprints by myself?

If so, do I enter my own name/signature in the field for "SIGNATURE OF OFFICIAL TAKING FINGERPRINTS"?

Thanks
This. Our forms are yet to be processed but we did the prints ourselves. In fact, I sent the first set of prints (2 each for me and my spouse) before ITA. But then I saw that some posters' prints were rejected. So we sent in another round of requests, with half a dozen sets of prints. I am hoping that my first request goes through.

Having said all this, I strongly recommend OP to go to a professional, if such service is available in your area. Not worth taking the risk. Best wishes.

Zoide

Star Member
Sep 15, 2014
Costa Rica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There don't seem to be such professional services in my country, but I'm going on a business trip to the US soon and a quick Google search revealed a well-reviewed place in the area.

I'm going to try the professional place, but your advice might still be useful for other people.

Thanks everyone!

bassem.mf

Star Member
Jun 19, 2016
Egypt
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had to do it myself because there are no professional fingerprinting services where I live (Egypt).

First I used a regular inkpad. I spent a whole day trying to get fingerprints as good as possible. And I sent 10 sets to FBI. I was not very happy with the quality but there was no way to get a better quality with the ink I was using.

Then the next day I continued searching the internet and I found plenty of posts about people whose fingerprints were rejected after a 4-5 months wait. This got me very worried. So I decided to order an "Inkless Fingerprint Pad" from Amazon. Shipping to Egypt cost me a lot. But anything was better than my fingerprints getting rejected and wasting 4-5 months on a second attempt.

I created another 10 sets using the inkless pad a sent another application to FBI. The inkless pad gave me a WAY better quality. So I was much more confident about my second application.

I also had to call FBI to ask them about some of the fields on the form. This was months ago and I do not remember their instructions. So I will just recommend that you call them if you are not sure about how to fill certain fields.

Final result ... both of my applications were accepted :) and I got 2 PCC certificates

Zoide

Star Member
Sep 15, 2014
Costa Rica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bassem.mf said:
I had to do it myself because there are no professional fingerprinting services where I live (Egypt).

First I used a regular inkpad. I spent a whole day trying to get fingerprints as good as possible. And I sent 10 sets to FBI. I was not very happy with the quality but there was no way to get a better quality with the ink I was using.

Then the next day I continued searching the internet and I found plenty of posts about people whose fingerprints were rejected after a 4-5 months wait. This got me very worried. So I decided to order an "Inkless Fingerprint Pad" from Amazon. Shipping to Egypt cost me a lot. But anything was better than my fingerprints getting rejected and wasting 4-5 months on a second attempt.

I created another 10 sets using the inkless pad a sent another application to FBI. The inkless pad gave me a WAY better quality. So I was much more confident about my second application.

I also had to call FBI to ask them about some of the fields on the form. This was months ago and I do not remember their instructions. So I will just recommend that you call them if you are not sure about how to fill certain fields.

Final result ... both of my applications were accepted :) and I got 2 PCC certificates
Nice tip with the inkless pad, thanks!

I actually had a chance to travel to the US and tok the chance to go to a police station to get my prints taken with a machine. I was very worried because it looked like one of my pinkies' imprints got cropped, but in the end it seems to have worked. A few months later I was mailed a letter that simply says something like "We found no criminal records for so-and-so".

andy108

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2015
Australia
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
**-09-2017
As mentioned get as many done as possible, and still there are no guarantee. I've done with 3 different officers, just in case and the difference is drastic - how they do it and what the prints look like

khaledsalah

Apr 8, 2017
bassem.mf said:

hey there,
I was almost making up my mind to go to the US to have my fingerprints taken before coming across your post. I spent the past 3 months trying to find a legit way to fill my FD-258 card, and I haven't found a consistent answer so far. The US embassy advised me to have my prints taken by the Civil Status Organization and stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, both of which had no clue about those procedures. I called the FBI recently and they verified that I can do it myself. I'm reaching out to you because I need some help. I would appreciate it if you shoot me an email with your phone number.
Thanks in advance!

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Just out of curiosity, I am wondering how this process can be foul proof if someone can fingerprint it by themselves. Anyone with crime record can submit someone else's fingerprints and get a clean report right? I understand it's a misrepresentation etc. etc. etc... but is it not a big loophole?

kaoruchan

Dec 30, 2017
I want to do the fingerprinting myself since in my area, it is like 450 us dollars for the service, crazy!!!! For the part where I need to get an officer to sign, can I leave it blank? Will they accept this?

Anu1117

Star Member
Nov 17, 2017

To use Inkless pads dont we need ink less paper too ? as far as i know it doesn't work on normal paper right ?