+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I take NOC 0131 with These Job Duties?

Abhie

Nov 17, 2015
Bangladesh
NOC Code......
Being a Telecom Engineer, I believe NOC 0131 best suits me. Hence, to open EE profile, I am looking for some verification that these Job duties of mine dont need further adjustment.

My Current Job Duties

Establish and maintain relationships with suppliers and clients

Consult and negotiate with clients to prepare specifications, proposals and present technical reports and findings.

Coordinate and review the technical work of the project teams

Cost Negotiation with partner and vendor companies in link leasing issues.

Work is carried out on a project basis with tight deadlines and well-defined milestones for the delivery of project objectives.

Involved across all aspects of service delivery, from carrying out feasibility exercises and determining connectivity to preparing detailed, technical and operational documentation.

Continuously monitor the capacity and performance of the IT resources: network, servers and storage.

Provide on-call technical support

Create and maintain documentation as it relates to system configuration, mapping, processes and service records.

Recommend, schedule and perform network improvements, upgrades and repairs.

Whereas, NOC 0131 (Sample Duties from CIC) are -

Telecommunication carriers managers perform some or all of the following duties:

Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations of a telecommunications establishment, department or facility

Consult with senior managers to establish policies concerned with the development, operation and maintenance of telecommunications services

Direct and control telecommunications traffic volume and flow within assigned areas, through subordinate supervisors and technical staff

Analyze and evaluate telecommunications installation, operation and maintenance services and make recommendations for improvement

Ensure compliance with telecommunications regulations and directives of government regulatory agencies

Liaise with representatives of related or connecting companies to resolve joint telecommunications problems and ensure efficient telecommunications system operations

Recruit personnel and oversee their training.

Please help me out with this one issue where Im stuck and cant go forward with the process for.

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
I am in an HR job.

My 2 cents:

Your job duties keywords: establish, consult, coordinate, negotiate, monitor, recommend, involved.

NOC 0131 keywords: plan, organize, direct, consult, evaluate, ensure, recruit, managers.

Your role looks more like a technical individual contributor position whereas the NOC you mentioned clearly involved heavy managing duties of "an establishment, department or facility".

If you are currently a manager with profit and loss, human capital etc.. management, then go for it and make sure your job scope includes the right keywords. Otherwise, you might want to look at a NOC that corresponds more to an Engineer as opposed to a Manager.

Hope this helps.

Abhie

Nov 17, 2015
Bangladesh
NOC Code......
I am in an HR job.

My 2 cents:

Your job duties keywords: establish, consult, coordinate, negotiate, monitor, recommend, involved.

NOC 0131 keywords: plan, organize, direct, consult, evaluate, ensure, recruit, managers.

Your role looks more like a technical individual contributor position whereas the NOC you mentioned clearly involved heavy managing duties of "an establishment, department or facility".

If you are currently a manager with profit and loss, human capital etc.. management, then go for it and make sure your job scope includes the right keywords. Otherwise, you might want to look at a NOC that corresponds more to an Engineer as opposed to a Manager.

Hope this helps.
Actually, its a small scale telecom company, where I look after a major department in spite of not being designated as a manager. Hence, my duties state different set of keywords even though most of the works mentioned in the framework are being carried out by me from the perspective of my country. Taking your suggestions into consideration, I reshaped my duties in the following way. Please check again and give your valuable feedback.

My Job Duties:
  1. Confer with the superiors while ascertaining courses of action related to the growth, operation and maintenance of telecommunications services.
  2. Analyze and Evaluate telecommunication network establishment from both physical and logical level, identify areas of improvements and recommend upgradation.
  3. Involve directly in the root level operations for highly valued clients and also in absence of adequate technical support.
  4. Plan and Organize operational framework in acquiescence with telecommunications rules and regulations set by government regulatory agencies.
  5. Co-ordinate and review the technical work of the project team.
  6. Liaise with delegates of client companies to come to a common solution for telecommunication related issues while maintaining uninterrupted system operations.
  7. Direct and control all aspects of service delivery, carrying out of feasibility exercises and connectivity through subordinates, supervisors and other technical staff.
  8. Create and maintain documentation as it relates to system configuration, mapping, processes and service records.
  9. Observe and monitor the capacity and performance of the IT resources: network, servers and storage while working on tight deadlines and well-defined milestones for the delivery of project objectives.
  10. Provide and oversee training of the incumbents while participating in the recruiting process of the workforce.

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
Actually, its a small scale telecom company, where I look after a major department in spite of not being designated as a manager. Hence, my duties state different set of keywords even though most of the works mentioned in the framework are being carried out by me from the perspective of my country. Taking your suggestions into consideration, I reshaped my duties in the following way. Please check again and give your valuable feedback.

My Job Duties:
  1. Confer with the superiors while ascertaining courses of action related to the growth, operation and maintenance of telecommunications services.
  2. Analyze and Evaluate telecommunication network establishment from both physical and logical level, identify areas of improvements and recommend upgradation.
  3. Involve directly in the root level operations for highly valued clients and also in absence of adequate technical support.
  4. Plan and Organize operational framework in acquiescence with telecommunications rules and regulations set by government regulatory agencies.
  5. Co-ordinate and review the technical work of the project team.
  6. Liaise with delegates of client companies to come to a common solution for telecommunication related issues while maintaining uninterrupted system operations.
  7. Direct and control all aspects of service delivery, carrying out of feasibility exercises and connectivity through subordinates, supervisors and other technical staff.
  8. Create and maintain documentation as it relates to system configuration, mapping, processes and service records.
  9. Observe and monitor the capacity and performance of the IT resources: network, servers and storage while working on tight deadlines and well-defined milestones for the delivery of project objectives.
  10. Provide and oversee training of the incumbents while participating in the recruiting process of the workforce.
I understand your point.

However if you say you are managing a department, your job duties seem to be misleading. The above duties don't seem to be for a Manager to me (no financial/profit and loss responsibility, team management, organization development etc..).

Job title has little to do with the actual responsibilities. In my company, we have a lot of so called "General Managers" who are not managing anyone but themselves, nor responsible for their department budget, planning, development etc...

My best guess would be: list your duties to the best and most honest you can. Then assign the NOC. I had the same thought when applying online and I decided to go with the lower NOC (I am a "Lead" at Global HQ for a large MNC) because my duties were closer to the lower NOC.

Abhie

Nov 17, 2015
Bangladesh
NOC Code......
I understand your point.

However if you say you are managing a department, your job duties seem to be misleading. The above duties don't seem to be for a Manager to me (no financial/profit and loss responsibility, team management, organization development etc..).

Job title has little to do with the actual responsibilities. In my company, we have a lot of so called "General Managers" who are not managing anyone but themselves, nor responsible for their department budget, planning, development etc...

My best guess would be: list your duties to the best and most honest you can. Then assign the NOC. I had the same thought when applying online and I decided to go with the lower NOC (I am a "Lead" at Global HQ for a large MNC) because my duties were closer to the lower NOC.
I do manage a team, have been a team leader of network operation department, now Im promoted to some other department where I dont have to manage that bigger of a team. Yeah, I do have to answer for company's financial profit and loss as well and take necessary measure to control that as well. Actually, I could add more points regarding these matters, but I just thought these to be more highlightable. So, do you think adding them in can make it more managerlike?

Reactions: madmax007

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
I do manage a team, have been a team leader of network operation department, now Im promoted to some other department where I dont have to manage that bigger of a team. Yeah, I do have to answer for company's financial profit and loss as well and take necessary measure to control that as well. Actually, I could add more points regarding these matters, but I just thought these to be more highlightable. So, do you think adding them in can make it more managerlike?
Well what you are saying now looks pretty much different from the job duties I read.

In this case for sure, go for it. Just make sure your actual responsibilities are listed in the Employment Letter.

Abhie

Nov 17, 2015
Bangladesh
NOC Code......
Well what you are saying now looks pretty much different from the job duties I read.

In this case for sure, go for it. Just make sure your actual responsibilities are listed in the Employment Letter.
why would that be? what i wanted to say is that, I do those things as well, just did not put them in the duties for the conciseness purpose. But, if I am allowed, I have no problem having them in as well.

I have been in this company for 5 years now having switched from one department to another. Hence, i can add 20 more points containing everything that I did in this time.

About, checking other NOCs for more precision, only other NOC that i found matching my job duty is 2147. But it didnt seem that much of a match to me as it is with 0131.

NOC 2147 main duties are these -
  • Computer and telecommunications hardware engineers
    • Analyze user's requirements, and design and develop system architecture and specifications
    • Research, design, develop and integrate computer and telecommunications hardware such as microprocessors, integrated circuit boards and semiconductor lasers
    • Develop and conduct design verification simulations and prototype bench tests of components
    • Supervise, inspect and provide design support during the manufacturing, installation and implementation of computer and telecommunications hardware
    • Establish and maintain relationships with suppliers and clients
    • May lead and co-ordinate teams of engineers, technologists, technicians and drafters in the design and development of computer and telecommunications hardware.
  • Network system and data communication engineers
    • Research, design and develop information and communication system network architecture
    • Research, evaluate and integrate network system and data communication hardware and software
    • Assess, document and optimize the capacity and performance of information and communication system networks
    • May lead and co-ordinate teams of design professionals in the development and integration of information and communication system architecture, hardware and software.
    • Computer engineers may specialize in a number of areas including analog and digital signal processing, fibre optics, integrated circuits, lasers, microprocessors, microwaves and radio astronomy.

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
Why would what be?

what i wanted to say is that, I do those things as well
Then mention it.

If you have been with the same company for 5 years and changed your positions, which is normal, in this case I would advise you to mention all jobs you held, with separate job titles, dates, duties etc...

For instance:

1) Telecom Engineer, from XXX/XX/XXX up to XX/XX/XXXX
Duties: ......, ..., ....., ......, .....
Salary: xxxx

2) Telecom Supervisor, from XX/XX/XXXX/ up to XX/XX/XXXX
Duties: .....,....,.....,.....
Salary: xxxx

3) Department Manager, from ......

The danger if you try to put all your positions, within the same NOC, is that it will be a headache to chose one and also could be difficult for the Officer who will review your application, to understand.

This is just my point of view and the way I've wrote the letters for my case.

Abhie

Nov 17, 2015
Bangladesh
NOC Code......
The danger if you try to put all your positions, within the same NOC, is that it will be a headache to chose one and also could be difficult for the Officer who will review your application, to understand.
What can I do in this regard? Im not allowed to take more than One NOC, can I?

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
What I have done is listing my 2 jobs under the same company, in 2 separate lines when I applied for EE. Consequently, I got two different NOCs for my stay in this company.

If you already applied to EE, I am not sure because I have not been through the same situation. I would recommend asking your question to more senior members, for instance the thread of Legalfalcon.

Reactions: Abhie

Abhie

Nov 17, 2015
Bangladesh
NOC Code......
What I have done is listing my 2 jobs under the same company, in 2 separate lines when I applied for EE. Consequently, I got two different NOCs for my stay in this company.

If you already applied to EE, I am not sure because I have not been through the same situation. I would recommend asking your question to more senior members, for instance the thread of Legalfalcon.
You Got means?? Isnt that you who picks the NOC according to their job duties? Or its CIC who nominates applicants' NOC as well??

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
sorry, should have said "I assigned" instead of "I got".

Yes you pick the NOC yourself, CIC will only verify that the NOC(s) you chosed match with the employment letters you will provide.