+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i switch jobs and keep same NOC? Urgent!

loo1201

Star Member
Mar 13, 2016
ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
App. Filed.......
01-05-2020
AOR Received.
12-05-2020
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2021
hello,

I am currently working as a cook and getting enough hours to become eligible to apply for PR.

Since ive received my PGWP i have had 2 jobs as a cook, i moved away and am currently working at a restaurant. I may have a better opportunity, pay wise and would like to know if its okay to keep changing jobs every 5-6 months or so? The restaurant industry is a revolving door, this is very common for cooks to come and go.

I would still work as a cook, so same NOC and i assume same duties.

Can someone shine light on this?

TLDR;
Changed jobs 3x as a cook and planing on applying for another cooking job. Is it okay?

loo1201

Star Member
Mar 13, 2016
ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
App. Filed.......
01-05-2020
AOR Received.
12-05-2020
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2021

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
So i can switch and keep the same noc and cumulate the experience for pr?
Yes. CEC doesn't require continuous, full-time employment.

As long as your jobs are all in the same NOC B job, you can show multiple jobs that add up to one year of experience in the past three years. As you say, IRCC will be aware of the conditions in your industry, and since high turnover is very common, will think nothing of it.

You will naturally still have to prove that you actually worked in those jobs with the correct reference letters, documents, etc.

loo1201

Star Member
Mar 13, 2016
ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
App. Filed.......
01-05-2020
AOR Received.
12-05-2020
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2021
Yes. CEC doesn't require continuous, full-time employment.

As long as your jobs are all in the same NOC B job, you can show multiple jobs that add up to one year of experience in the past three years. As you say, IRCC will be aware of the conditions in your industry, and since high turnover is very common, will think nothing of it.

You will naturally still have to prove that you actually worked in those jobs with the correct reference letters, documents, etc.
Okay thank you for your reply!

I had the interview this morning and realized it was for a prep cook postion! It falls under a different NOC code. Now, can i cumulate, lets say 6 months as a cook AND 6 months as a prep cook and count it as a year full time and still apply for PR?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yes, you can, as long as you meet the requirements of the CEC.

Read the rules and figure it out based on the details of your jobs. This link has the rules:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html

Assessing work experience - Applications received on or after January 2, 2013
Applicants must have at least 12 months of full-time, Canadian skilled work experience (or the equivalent in part-time work experience) in one or more NOC 0, A or B occupations within the 36 months before the date of application receipt [R87.1(2)(a)].

In addition, during that period of employment, the applicant must have:

• performed the actions described in the lead statement for the occupation(s) as set out in the occupational description of the NOC [R87.1(2)(b)]; and
  • performed a substantial number of the main duties, including all the essential duties, of the occupation(s) as set out in the occupational description of the NOC [R87.1(2)(c)].
Any period of employment when the applicant was engaged in full-time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., work experience gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student and on-campus work permits). [R87.1(3)(a)]. Officers should verify the work permit information in GCMS.

loo1201

Star Member
Mar 13, 2016
ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
App. Filed.......
01-05-2020
AOR Received.
12-05-2020
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2021
Yes, you can, as long as you meet the requirements of the CEC.

Read the rules and figure it out based on the details of your jobs. This link has the rules:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html

Assessing work experience - Applications received on or after January 2, 2013
Applicants must have at least 12 months of full-time, Canadian skilled work experience (or the equivalent in part-time work experience) in one or more NOC 0, A or B occupations within the 36 months before the date of application receipt [R87.1(2)(a)].

In addition, during that period of employment, the applicant must have:

• performed the actions described in the lead statement for the occupation(s) as set out in the occupational description of the NOC [R87.1(2)(b)]; and
  • performed a substantial number of the main duties, including all the essential duties, of the occupation(s) as set out in the occupational description of the NOC [R87.1(2)(c)].
Any period of employment when the applicant was engaged in full-time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., work experience gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student and on-campus work permits). [R87.1(3)(a)]. Officers should verify the work permit information in GCMS.
Thanks so much!