+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can I still work beyond expiry of Student Permit,while my PGWP is on process?

csalvio

Jun 14, 2019
Hello,

My friend and I drove to Peace Arch Canadian Border yesterday to “flagpole” to extend my stay from Student Permit to Post Graduate Work Permit.
However, they no longer do flagpoling because they were busy. But there wasn’t a line up and theres only 2cars in front of us and it only took 3min after they ask questions about what we did in Seattle. The officer told me to just apply online. (Our friends went to flagpole on April and May and they were able to get it). Is it different from other Border in B.C.?

I really waited to apply this at the border because my new passport came late. This was supposed to be the chance for me to get my PGWP on hand in minutes.

Now, I applied for PGWP online and I only have until July 18th, 2019 before my visa and permit expires.

Questions:
1.Can I still legally stay in Canada even after the expiry date of my visa and current student permit?
2. Should I try again at a different British Columbia Canadian Border to do flagpoling even if I have already applied online?

Thank you!
-C

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
If you apply when your study permit is still valid you are then on an implied work permit and you can work just as if you have a work permit while you wait for a result.

If you apply after your study permit expires and you switched to visitor status you cant work.

Usually there is a recommended border and time to try for flagpoling so talk to your school.

csalvio

Jun 14, 2019
If you apply when your study permit is still valid you are then on an implied work permit and you can work just as if you have a work permit while you wait for a result.

If you apply after your study permit expires and you switched to visitor status you cant work.

Usually there is a recommended border and time to try for flagpoling so talk to your school.
I will talk to my school and they might also give other assistance towards this matter.
Thank you!

csalvio

Jun 14, 2019
1. Yes
2. Won't hurt to try? Worst they will say no. And yes, if they process it at a land border crossing, you can withdraw your online application.
i’ll look on to the options you gave and Check for the updates online about border timing. Thank you!