+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I still enter Canada if I am released?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Unlikely. There are no laws pertaining to resigning from a job and returning home. As long as you don’t violate the conditions of your TRV or WP, you’ve done nothing wrong.
My best guess (and others can correct me) is if you do return to Canada, you shouldn’t be referencing the work permit as the reason for entry. That could be implied as misrepresentation (you don’t have that job anymore). The TRV should allow you entry as a visitor (so you need to convince them that is your intent). There are no laws against looking for work while on a visitor visa, but the onus is on you to convince CBSA you are a bonafide visitor.

godspeed15

Jan 23, 2020
Unlikely. There are no laws pertaining to resigning from a job and returning home. As long as you don’t violate the conditions of your TRV or WP, you’ve done nothing wrong.
My best guess (and others can correct me) is if you do return to Canada, you shouldn’t be referencing the work permit as the reason for entry. That could be implied as misrepresentation (you don’t have that job anymore). The TRV should allow you entry as a visitor (so you need to convince them that is your intent). There are no laws against looking for work while on a visitor visa, but the onus is on you to convince CBSA you are a bonafide visitor.
But the TRV that I have stated that I’m a worker. Pretty sure also that the records of CBSA is that I am a worker. So does this mean that it’s on me on how to convince them that I’ll be just visiting?

Are they going to decide how long am I gonna be able to stay? Or the dates on my visa can still be followed til 2021?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Entirely up to CBSA how long they will allow you to stay. If they feel you have sufficient funds, expect no more than 6 months. They may allow you to stay the entire length of the WP, but since the job is no longer there, why would they?

godspeed15

Jan 23, 2020
Entirely up to CBSA how long they will allow you to stay. If they feel you have sufficient funds, expect no more than 6 months. They may allow you to stay the entire length of the WP, but since the job is no longer there, why would they?
So what should I say? Should I tell them honestly that I will just visit my relatives and wont be working with my employer stated on my work permit? I’m pretty sure they will just think that I’ll just entering Canada to look for a job. Thoughts?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
But the TRV that I have stated that I’m a worker. Pretty sure also that the records of CBSA is that I am a worker. So does this mean that it’s on me on how to convince them that I’ll be just visiting?

Are they going to decide how long am I gonna be able to stay? Or the dates on my visa can still be followed til 2021?
It doesn't matter what the TRV says. It is up to CBSA to decide what status you will enter on. They may cancel your work permit due to the fact that you are no longer employed but allow you entry as a visitor or they may just wave you through. No one can say.

godspeed15

Jan 23, 2020
It doesn't matter what the TRV says. It is up to CBSA to decide what status you will enter on. They may cancel your work permit due to the fact that you are no longer employed but allow you entry as a visitor or they may just wave you through. No one can say.
So basically being honest with the CBSA officer and telling him that you’re main purpose is to travel only and you’re not returning for work. Is that even possible?