+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I still enter Canada if I am released?

godspeed15

Jan 23, 2020
Good day everyone!

I left Canada last November for some emergency purposes. I resigned and my employer released me. My question is my work permit and visa are both active til 2021, can I re enter Canada and look for a job?

Thanks much!!

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Good day everyone!

I left Canada last November for some emergency purposes. I resigned and my employer released me. My question is my work permit and visa are both active til 2021, can I re enter Canada and look for a job?

Thanks much!!
What type of work permit do you have? PGWP, open work permit or employer specific?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Good day everyone!

Thanks much!!
Wasn't your work permit obtained thru a LMIA,which means it was closed to the employer, the employer you resigned from ?
If that's correct, you'd need to find a new employer willing to go thru the LMiA process again. Which involves paying the fee, advertising, and waiting
That work permit you have is only valid with your original employer

godspeed15

Jan 23, 2020
Wasn't your work permit obtained thru a LMIA,which means it was closed to the employer, the employer you resigned from ?
If that's correct, you'd need to find a new employer willing to go thru the LMiA process again. Which involves paying the fee, advertising, and waiting
That work permit you have is only valid with your original employer
Yes it’s a closed work permit obtained thru LMIA. Do you think I can still re enter Canada and look for a job there?

godspeed15

Jan 23, 2020
Yes. you can enter Canada as you still have a valid visa and work permit.
Yeah it’s a multiple entry visa. But I’m just scared that since I resigned at work, the officer in the border might inspect? Since I’m not returning to that employer anymore.

poppsicle

Jan 28, 2020
Yeah it’s a multiple entry visa. But I’m just scared that since I resigned at work, the officer in the border might inspect? Since I’m not returning to that employer anymore.
I don't think you will have a problem at the port of entry as long as you have a Valid documents. Even if your employer released you but didnt cancel the work permit you should be fine :)

godspeed15

Jan 23, 2020
I don't think you will have a problem at the port of entry as long as you have a Valid documents. Even if your employer released you but didnt cancel the work permit you should be fine :)
Thank you. I am just scared if I do this then I might be sent back to my home country and will be blocked to enter Canada.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
That’s a distinct possibility. If you are no longer employed with the sponsoring employer, it could cause issues. If you tell them you are returning to work, that could cause you problems. There may be issues since you resigned and are trying to enter based on the work permit. While the employer can’t cancel a LIMA approved closed work permit, they do have to report your resignation to IRCC.

godspeed15

Jan 23, 2020
That’s a distinct possibility. If you are no longer employed with the sponsoring employer, it could cause issues. If you tell them you are returning to work, that could cause you problems. There may be issues since you resigned and are trying to enter based on the work permit. While the employer can’t cancel a LIMA approved closed work permit, they do have to report your resignation to IRCC.
Wow that’s deep. If they reported me to IRCC that I resigned will it affect any possible future applications?