+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I Stay in Canada After Quitting Job (on CLOSED WP)

shreekm1

Jun 13, 2018
Hi,

My intra company transfer closed work permit is valid till December 2020. My project is getting over in Canada and I have to go back to home country by May 5th. I have received invitation for Canada PR and going to submit application by end of May as I am waiting for PCC documents which will take time due to COVID situation.

What are my options if I decide to resign and stay back in Canada.

1) Can I stay back in Canada if I resign my work? Is it legal to stay back in Canada even after quitting/ending job on closed work permit?
2) Does the closed work permit get cancelled if I resign?. Will my employer inform to CIC about this to close the work permit?
3) Do I need to update CIC about this to stay back in Canada? If yes, is there a CIC email address to which I can send these updates?
4) Will it affect my PR application once I submit?
5) I will apply for BOWP once I am eligible and wait until I get that without working as I can not work for any other employer but want to know whether I can stay here before filing PR application?

Appreciate your help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

My intra company transfer closed work permit is valid till December 2020. My project is getting over in Canada and I have to go back to home country by May 5th. I have received invitation for Canada PR and going to submit application by end of May as I am waiting for PCC documents which will take time due to COVID situation.

What are my options if I decide to resign and stay back in Canada.

1) Can I stay back in Canada if I resign my work? Is it legal to stay back in Canada even after quitting/ending job on closed work permit?
2) Does the closed work permit get cancelled if I resign?. Will my employer inform to CIC about this to close the work permit?
3) Do I need to update CIC about this to stay back in Canada? If yes, is there a CIC email address to which I can send these updates?
4) Will it affect my PR application once I submit?
5) I will apply for BOWP once I am eligible and wait until I get that without working as I can not work for any other employer but want to know whether I can stay here before filing PR application?

Appreciate your help.
1. Yes.

2. No.

3. No.

4. No.

5. Already answered.

Reactions: deeps1987
Sep 20, 2019
I am also in ICT Closed WP and my understanding is if your company fires from a job then you cannot stay in Canada, and cannot work for any other company.

harrysummer

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
I just want to understand the basis of your information. Any CIC website links?
I don't know how the government works but I got a closed work permit and then relocated to US so the Canadian employment ends before the expiry date on the permit. However, I am still able to crossing Canada-US border with that permit. CBSA never questioned about my employment.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I just want to understand the basis of your information. Any CIC website links?
Basic immigration law.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/page-38.html#docCont

Authorized period ends

(4) The period authorized for a temporary resident’s stay ends on the earliest of

• (a) the day on which the temporary resident leaves Canada without obtaining prior authorization to re-enter Canada;
  • (b) the day on which their permit becomes invalid, in the case of a temporary resident who has been issued either a work permit or a study permit;
  • (b.1) the day on which the second of their permits becomes invalid, in the case of a temporary resident who has been issued a work permit and a study permit;
  • (c) the day on which any temporary resident permit issued to the temporary resident is no longer valid under section 63;
  • (c.1) in the case of a person who is required by section 10.01 of the Act to provide their biometric information, the day on which the period of 10 years following the latest day on which the person provided their biometric information under section 10.01 of the Act ends; or
  • (d) the day on which the period authorized under subsection (2) ends, if paragraphs (a) to (c) do not apply.

Sep 20, 2019
TIA

My Spouse is on Dependent Open Work Permit and it's valid until Feb 2022. Can she continue to work? and I can continue to stay in Canada on closed WP. This what you want to say.

deeps1987

Jun 2, 2018
TIA

My Spouse is on Dependent Open Work Permit and it's valid until Feb 2022. Can she continue to work? and I can continue to stay in Canada on closed WP. This what you want to say.
Your spouse can work. You can stay, but can't work for any company other then specified with closed WP.