+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i start a Business???

T2014

Jul 22, 2014
Hi,

Currently I am living in canada under postgraduate work permit. I am an Artist and 2D Animator. I do have 2 questions if anybody can give me some tips.

1. I am working as an intern artist (Full time, 3 months Contract) at Government program. I am almost end of my contract. They told me if i wanna continue the project as my own business they can help me, but I am just wondering if i can start my business under the post graduate work permit.

2. I know i have to have permanent Full time or Part time job to get my PR under the experience class or Nominee Program. but problem is Studios are hiring only Canadian Citizens or PR holders for permanent positions. "Tax purposes" they said. How ever I do work as a Freelance artist, Can i use my freelance work experience to get PR?

Thank you.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In Free Market economy anyone can start a business. All you need is investment (at least enough to incorporate) and clear cut plan to execute actions that will result in profit generating entity.

Look at foreign corporations in Canada, most are owned by foreigners without any work permits in Canada. Yet, they are all legally registered entities and their owners collect profit, without violating any law.

So, can you start a business? Answer is: certainly YES.

Question is: can you WORK for your business, as an employee of your business?
Answer depends on whether you have a RIGHT to WORK , and if you do, whether there are ANY RESTRICTIONS as to who can be your employer.
I don't know what post-grad employment permit entitles you to, but you should be able to research the subject and find out.

And I seriously doubt you can use "freelance work experience" to qualify for PR under FSW. You can find a sure answer by reading the requirements of PR and clear definition of "work experience" under existing immigration laws and regulations.

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
according to you, they are willing to help if you want to continue the project as a business. It seems to me, you have an open door already. Have you disclosed to them your situation? If not, you should express your interest in carrying on the project and bring to their attention your immigration concern for their advice/guidance.
Otherwise like David said, you should be able to start a business of your own with your work permit. In fact, it may make your PR application more valuable.

baron_hou

Jan 12, 2015
next2015 said:
according to you, they are willing to help if you want to continue the project as a business. It seems to me, you have an open door already. Have you disclosed to them your situation? If not, you should express your interest in carrying on the project and bring to their attention your immigration concern for their advice/guidance.
Otherwise like David said, you should be able to start a business of your own with your work permit. In fact, it may make your PR application more valuable.
Good input!
It seems like they were offering you a chance to start your own business.
For eligiblity of MPNP, go check immigrationmanitoba 'dot' com 'self-employment' section. I am sure you can register a business. because lot of PGWP holders did.

richi17403

Feb 8, 2015
I will answer your question is this way, first of all you can do any business in Canada while as a visitor or any kind of work permit. no work permit or visitor visa has restrictions to open a business and registerd your company under the law as long as you DO NOT WORK in the company which make you take away one of Canadian citizen job taker. on the other hand if you hire 4 Canadian citizen as a worker in your company for more than one year then you can apply for your PR card and your case will be approved. ONCE AGAIN YOU CAN NOT WORK AT YOUR JOB.

sportas

Star Member
Jun 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-10-2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Feb 12/2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with the application
Med's Request
No
Interview........
No
richi17403 said:
I will answer your question is this way, first of all you can do any business in Canada while as a visitor or any kind of work permit. no work permit or visitor visa has restrictions to open a business and registerd your company under the law as long as you DO NOT WORK in the company which make you take away one of Canadian citizen job taker. on the other hand if you hire 4 Canadian citizen as a worker in your company for more than one year then you can apply for your PR card and your case will be approved. ONCE AGAIN YOU CAN NOT WORK AT YOUR JOB.
What this exactly means?
ONCE AGAIN YOU CAN NOT WORK AT YOUR JOB.

I started my corporation, it was active, only me as the director. Than I got reported that I was working unauthorized in Canada, my BOWP was refused and valid WP employer specific is revoked. I have PR CEC in process.
WHAT is happening here???

Thanks!

sportas

Star Member
Jun 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-10-2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Feb 12/2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with the application
Med's Request
No
Interview........
No
sportas said:
What this exactly means?
ONCE AGAIN YOU CAN NOT WORK AT YOUR JOB.

I started my corporation, it was active, only me as the director. Than I got reported that I was working unauthorized in Canada, my BOWP was refused and valid WP employer specific is revoked. I have PR CEC in process.

Thanks!
And yes, my employer that I had WP for, reported me for that. They went after me when they realized that lowering my wages did not result with making me a slave for their company.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
sportas said:
And yes, my employer that I had WP for, reported me for that. They went after me when they realized that lowering my wages did not result with making me a slave for their company.
Assuming everything you have written is true, what is happening is:
(a) you made yourself a victim when you did not defend your rights as a worker,
(b) you violated the terms of your work permit, giving your (ex-)employer an opportunity to hurt you (more),
(c) because you did not report your employer, and they did report you, you have in all probably lost your chance at PR.

1) You have stated that your employer made you "work off" the LMIA fee - if that is true, that is illegal and reportable.

"It is the policy of the Government of Canada, that under no circumstances, can employers and third-party representatives recover the LMIA processing fees from temporary foreign workers."
http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/lower_skilled/index.shtml

2) You have stated that your employer did not meet the terms of the contract. That is also reportable.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/tfw-rights.asp

http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/employers_revoked.shtml

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/about/integrity/tfwp/reporting.shtml

Even if reporting your employer does not help you now, you should report (assuming you can prove your accusations) so that they cannot do this to other workers. Abusers depend on the silence of the abused.