+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I sponsor my spouse after landing in canada through EE ?

Antony12

Star Member
Apr 11, 2016
hello,

When I apply with my spouse accompanying with me to Canada option, I am not able to meet the draw cut off , but if I apply alone ,that is, when spouse don't accompany me in PR , I am able to meet the draw cut off and I hope I will get the ITA in the next draw with respect to the current trend.

If latter is the method I am selecting for PR, I have few doubts regarding it:

1. Will I be able to sponsor my spouse after I land in Canada? and when can I start the process?
2. How long is the duration of the process?
3. Is job mandatory for sponsoring your spouse?
4. Is there any chance that my spouse's application can get rejected as we didn't applied together for the PR application?

It would be great help if anyone of you can reply to my queries...

Thanking you in advance......

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hello,

When I apply with my spouse accompanying with me to Canada option, I am not able to meet the draw cut off , but if I apply alone ,that is, when spouse don't accompany me in PR , I am able to meet the draw cut off and I hope I will get the ITA in the next draw with respect to the current trend.

If latter is the method I am selecting for PR, I have few doubts regarding it:

1. Will I be able to sponsor my spouse after I land in Canada? and when can I start the process?
2. How long is the duration of the process?
3. Is job mandatory for sponsoring your spouse?
4. Is there any chance that my spouse's application can get rejected as we didn't applied together for the PR application?

It would be great help if anyone of you can reply to my queries...

Thanking you in advance......
1. You can apply immediately after you land. You must be in Canada when the application is submitted and must remain in Canada while the application is processed.
2. 12 months.
3. No - not mandatory.
4. No - as long as your spouse was listed as a non-accompanying dependent and went through the medical, there should be no issue.

The main issue you will likely face is that you will be separated from your spouse for a year while you wait in Canada for the application to be processed and your spouse remains in your home country.

Reactions: Fantastica

Antony12

Star Member
Apr 11, 2016
1. You can apply immediately after you land. You must be in Canada when the application is submitted and must remain in Canada while the application is processed.
2. 12 months.
3. No - not mandatory.
4. No - as long as your spouse was listed as a non-accompanying dependent and went through the medical, there should be no issue.

The main issue you will likely face is that you will be separated from your spouse for a year while you wait in Canada for the application to be processed and your spouse remains in your home country.

Thank you so much for sharing this info......

chirag171987

Jan 9, 2019
Hi,

Can't the spouse come on TRV?

2. 12 months.
3. No - not mandatory.

Canu they get TRC?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

Can't the spouse come on TRV?

Canu they get TRC?
TRVs have high refusal rates when you have a Canadian spouse since IRCC knows the spouse probably has plans to remain in Canada long term. However the spouse can always try to apply.

I don't know what a TRC is.

chirag171987

Jan 9, 2019
TRVs have high refusal rates when you have a Canadian spouse since IRCC knows the spouse probably has plans to remain in Canada long term. However, the spouse can always try to apply.

I don't know what a TRC is.
Oops sorry, it (TRC) was a typo. Thanks for your inputs. How about if I plan it this way. Let my wife apply for a TRV along with her mother. (Since it might help build a strong case mother-daughter. Both are married and high chances of returning) Once they get TRV then I enter into the pool and clear all the documentation. Land in Canada, get the PR. Now I apply for her sponsorship (outland since I believe that's faster). Now I call her to stay with me on TRV. Does that land me (my PR) or her in trouble? Can she be denied entry at the Canadian airport? Once her 6 months are over can she leave the country for a few weeks and return?

tuitui509

Jan 20, 2018
I am on same boat! but my wife has a TRV. I am almost done with waiting PPR, in 2 weeks it will reach 6 month. it is just montreal office being slow.
I am expecting PPR in 1 month. and plan to land in about 2 month.

Shall I send her to Canada now on her existing TRV before my PPR comes in or shall I go to Canada with her during my landing and claim dual intent?

I am US based and we are planning to cross the border by Buffalo POE bridges.

Thanks for help

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
Similar to this post....if someone who was granted a COPR while they were single, met someone and decided to marry (legitimately of course), there are 2 options:

1) marry before landing and add the spouse to the application - delaying the first person in getting their PR
2) land first in Canada, go back to country of residence and get married, come back to Canada and then apply to sponsor the spouse

My question is:
1) which option is best or likely to get both to Canada to start their lives here as soon as possible (I'm assuming option 1)
2) @scylla you mentioned that someone can apply for their spouse as soon as they land but does that person need to submit the Canadian Tax form (Schedule C) first to show means of support (or not having been on social assistance I think)? or do you just need to show means to be able to support in other ways? I know when I sponsored my husband I was in the middle of refiling my taxes and had to wait for the Schedule C....

Thank you so much for your response in advance.

Take care,

Cindy