+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can i sponsor my husband while living together outside of canada.

lara

Sep 10, 2009
Hello,
My husband and I got married 7 months ago outside of canada. And we are still living outside of canada since. I am a canadian citizen and he is not. My husband works here (SAUDI ARABIA)and i am not. Can I sponsor him from here and how long is the process time. and is it possible for him to get a visitor visa and we both go, i get a job and start the process while we are both in canada and how long is the process. I really dont want to leave my husband.

Thank you so much for taking the time:)

lara.

Halifax-Maple

Star Member
Jul 19, 2009
lara said:
Hello,
My husband and I got married 7 months ago outside of canada. And we are still living outside of canada since. I am a canadian citizen and he is not. My husband works here (SAUDI ARABIA)and i am not. Can I sponsor him from here and how long is the process time. and is it possible for him to get a visitor visa and we both go, i get a job and start the process while we are both in canada and how long is the process. I really dont want to leave my husband.

Thank you so much for taking the time:)

lara.
Canadian citizen can always sponsor spouse from outside Canada. Outland sponsorship is faster and the right of appeal is granted if (God forbid) you were refused. However, you have to submit proof that you will go back and settle in Canada once visa of PR is granted. If he can travel with you to Canada (visa needed ??) then you both can come back and you sponsor him from IN CANADA (inland). This is longer and you don't have the right of appeal. It is your choice, now, based on your own circumstances.
Good luck

lara

Sep 10, 2009
Hi,
Thanks alot for the reply. However i got some more questions to ask, i really appreciate your patience.

1)Could you tell me how long it takes for him to get the PR if we start to do the outland from here (saudi arabia). and after we send the application, can he come with me to canada to visit my family. And lets say they have finished the process for his PR while we are visiting, could they give it to him in canada.

2) And if we dont come back during our visit and stay there, will his sponsorship be cancelled or they will continue.

3) And what if he gets a visitor visa and we go to canada and i start the sponsorship in canada (outland since you said its faster) while he is still a visitor, its that possible and can he get his PR then and just renew his visa once it expire.

4) And could you tell me how long they will take to process the sponsorship for each scenerio.

Thank you very much, your response is very much appreciated.

ps: you said once he get his PR, i have to prove we are settling in canada. I thought they ask the proof before i start the sponsorship or is it after he get the PR, i am confused... sorry :( because i read otherwise somewhere in the forum).

Al.Abed

Star Member
Aug 27, 2009
Salam Lara,

If you sponsor him outland, it'll take 6-8 months (assuming everything is good with nothing else needed and you can prove your relationship is genuine). once you start the sponsorship, i highly highly doubt he would get a visa to canada. however, NOW, if he was to apply for a visa, he'd prolly get it since you're canadian and he wants to visit you.

I think its best if you sponsor him outland (while you stay with him in saudi) and just put a canadian address and mailing address for yourself. this would be the same as for example, u leave him in saudi, come to canada, start the app, send it, then go back to visit him and stay there till its done.

I'm not an expert so Im not 100% on the info I gave you, maybe someone can correct me if im wrong.

good luck!

lara

Sep 10, 2009
Re: HELP! can i sponsor my husband while living together outside of canada.

Salamo aleykom Al Abed,

thank you for the information. But if i send papers from saudi and give them a canadian adress, wont they ask me for a proof that i live in canada and proof of work?

And what if i actually went to canada to start the sponsorship and i came back here, they would require for me to work in canada right??????????? im confused subhanAllah.

Thanks alot anyways :)

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Al.Abed said:
Salam Lara,

If you sponsor him outland, it'll take 6-8 months (assuming everything is good with nothing else needed and you can prove your relationship is genuine). once you start the sponsorship, i highly highly doubt he would get a visa to canada. however, NOW, if he was to apply for a visa, he'd prolly get it since you're canadian and he wants to visit you. - NO

I think its best if you sponsor him outland (while you stay with him in saudi) and just put a canadian address and mailing address for yourself. this would be the same as for example, u leave him in saudi, come to canada, start the app, send it, then go back to visit him and stay there till its done. - WHAT??? WHY???

I'm not an expert so Im not 100% on the info I gave you, maybe someone can correct me if im wrong.

good luck!
Ok, regarding the visitor's visa, it doesn't matter that he wants to visit you or not. Visiting your Canadian wife is NOT a reason CIC looks kindly upon when requesting a visitor's visa! A visitor's visa is to VISIT which means LEAVE after the visit is over. When applying for one of these an applicant must convince a Visa Officer that they will LEAVE at the end of their visit. Having a wife who lives in Canada is NOT going to help whether they've started the sponsorship or not. In fact, it will hinder the application because the VO will think the applicant will NOT leave at the end of the visit. What WILL help are showing ties to your home country like a job, letter from employer granting leave, significant assets like property, money, etc. Even then, with a Canadian spouse, it's a long shot from a non-visa exempt country.

Secondly, Lara you really need to read the guide about sponsorship. It is two parts. First is that you must be found eligible to sponsor. This is relatively easy assuming you meet the criteria which is Canadian citizen or PR (if PR you must live in Canada but citizens don't have to), you cannot be in receipt of welfare, you cannot have an undischarged bankruptcy and you cannot have some extremely serious criminal convictions on your record. The second part is the actualy application of your husband for permanent residence.

The first part (sponsorship) is processed in Canada at CIC-Mississauga. The second is processed at the embassy that processes PR applications for your region. The guides will tell you what embassy to choose for your region. I believe Saudi applicants are processed through Abu Dhabi.

BOTH parts of the application are sent at the SAME time to CIC Mississauga along with the police clearances and the medical and receipt for the fees. Once approved as a sponsor, the PR application is sent to the appropriate visa office for processing. Approval of sponsorship in Mississauga takes about 45 days and is NOT included in the total average wait times. The clock starts ticking on that once the file is received and begins processing at the embassy in the foreign country.

Since you are currently living outside of Canada, you must prove to CIC your intention to resettle in Canada upon PR being granted to your husband. This can be by way of a job offer, buying a house, apartment lease, etc.

Please, please, PLEASE read through the guides including the Region Specific Guide for your area. Internet forums provide lots of useful information BUT they are NOT to be considered rock solid advice. If you want a professional to guide you, hire a Canadian Immigration Consultant or Canadian Immigration Lawyer. Make sure they are members in good standing with their respective societies before you give them any money. There are plenty of bogus people out there claiming to be professionals when they are really crooks.

Here is the link to the guide you need to read. Good luck to you.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Fitore

Dec 12, 2013
Hello there !! :)

I almost have the same problem.
So could someone inform me ?!..
How is possible to sponsor my husband since I'm a Canadian citizen..
I live outside Canada, currently in Kosovo,i'm 20 years old and I just got married and the life here is very hard, no incomes and i don't see a future for my family here.
Me and my husband love to live and work in Canada, and for me it would be inpossible to go to Canada and initiate the procedure of sponsoring him because I can't leave my husband here, and I'm ti young to go that far without him.. :(

So please please tell me if there's a possible way so we could go together in Canada or to sponsor him from here...

I don't work an neather is he.. but we want to go to Canada and work there and start a healthy life, so when i bring my children to life , I would be happy to rase them in a great and educational country such as Canada :)

I'd be thankfull to your replies

Thank you!!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
A Canadian citizen can sponsor a spouse or partner while living abroad, so you can sponsor your husband while living in Kosovo.
But you will have to prove that you will go to Canada to live once he gets the PR visa.
As well, you do not need an income to sponsor a spouse, but you do need to show the visa officer that the two of you will be able to support yourselves in Canada. So think of how you two would live once in Canada. Do you have relatives in Canada who could let you live with them while you look for jobs? Or would help support you in some other way? If you do, get these relatives to write an affidavit or letter stating they will help you, and include it in your application.

Fitore

Dec 12, 2013
Thank you so much for taking your time :)

I have relatives but the worst is that we don't talk to each other for some reasons, so I don't know what to do I'm completely lost right now..

In addition of this could you please provide me with the application forms ?!

If you wish to help me to get on my way here is my email»»
f.bojkaj@gmail.com

Fitore

Dec 12, 2013
Oops i forgot a little sentence... we just got married on the 21st of october 2013, and I see sone quotations that they say you have to live 12 months after your marriage in order to applye for sponsorship hmm :/ Is this statement true ?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Fitore said:
Oops i forgot a little sentence... we just got married on the 21st of october 2013, and I see sone quotations that they say you have to live 12 months after your marriage in order to applye for sponsorship hmm :/ Is this statement true ?
No that statement is completely false. You would qualify to sponsor your spouse as soon as you are married, and have all the necessary documentation (marriage certificate, police checks, medical etc).

I don't work an neather is he..
I have relatives but the worst is that we don't talk to each other for some reasons, so I don't know what to do I'm completely lost right now..
So realistically, how do you think you'll be able to support yourselves if you both move to Canada?? Do you have significant savings, or some family in Kosovo that would help you financially?

In addition of this could you please provide me with the application forms ?!
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Fitore

Dec 12, 2013
Respect for you Mr.Rob
Hmm we kinda have some savings but how do I proove to Canada that we can support ourselves confused hmm how confused and actually lost I'm.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You could try getting in contact with your relatives and seeing if a relationship could be rebuilt. One of them may be willing to let you live in their apartment or house while you and your husband look for work.
If not, you really have to think how you will support yourselves at first in Canada. The visa officer can refuse the visa if he or she thinks you two will not be able to support yourselves. So you will have to write a letter explaining your plans for your life together in Canada. You can mention any education either of you has that might help get a job. You should provide proof of any savings. If you know someone living in Canada who might help you get a job, mention this. Contact this person and see if they could provide some job leads.
If none of this applies to you, then I suggest you go to Canada first and find a job. In Alberta and Saskatchewan minimum-wage jobs are often easy to find. Work for a while. Once you have a stable job and a place to stay, you can then sponsor your husband.

Fitore

Dec 12, 2013
I appriciate your help..

I have to check for this but I know its going to be hard or eather impossible :((

angryrectangle

Star Member
Jun 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Amman
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
File Transfer...
11-04-2014
Med's Done....
17-02-2014
Passport Req..
03-11-2014
I am currently living in Syria with my Syrian husband, and we are working on the paperwork to apply for his PR status in Canada. I continue to hear a lot of conflicting information about whether or not it takes longer, or less time to sponsor from outside. However, I'm happy to hear in this thread that it should be faster!

We have the same issue, I don't have any real proof that we're going to resettle in Canada. From previous replies on the forum, I've decided to include the following:

- A letter explaining our situation (WE LIVE IN SYRIA, we are FOR SURE going to stay in Canada together!!)
- Emails and so forth showing that my family/friends are aware that I am planning to go back to Canada with my spouse.
- A notarized letter from my father, saying he's expecting us and we'll be staying with him.

If you're working, you could also try to get a letter from your employer saying they are aware you will leave.

Hope this helps!