+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can I sponsor my aunt?

robflo

Jul 14, 2009
I'd like to know if I could sponsor my aunt to Canada to help me with my autistic child, He is 11 years old and my aunt has experience working with autistic children,
Is it possible?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I'd like to know if I could sponsor my aunt to Canada to help me with my autistic child, He is 11 years old and my aunt has experience working with autistic children,
Is it possible?
You can’t sponsor your aunt. You would need to hire her as a caregiver and then she applies to the HCCP program. The process is long.

All the information to hire a caregiver is in the link. First, you need to show that you could not hire a caregiver in Canada. So you need to post the job locally in your area. The position must be full-time and meet the median wage in your area. So estimated $16-17 per hour plus benefits. Probably more since your child has ASD. This is a salary of about $30-35k per year depending on where you live and duties. You need to show that you meet LICO and then add the salary. So you want a household income over $100k to show that you can afford a nanny. You set up a business registration for payroll. Once approved, she can apply to work through the HCCP program

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/caregiver.html

For the HCCP, she must take IELTS and get her education assessed. She needs at least a year of university or college education.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/caregivers/child-care-home-support-worker.html

Or she immigrates to Canada on her own merits based on her education, age, Language and skilled work experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123 and scylla

robflo

Jul 14, 2009
thank you for your reply

nut what about this I found on the immigration Canada website

Examples of who you can sponsor
See the examples below to better understand who you can sponsor.

Example 1: Eligible to sponsor an aunt
Veronica doesn’t have a spouse or a common-law partner. She has no children, and lives in Canada as a permanent resident. Her parents and grandparents have all passed away and she doesn’t have any relatives in Canada who are Canadian citizens, permanent residents or registered Indians. Veronica would like to sponsor her aunt Betty, who she is very close with. Her aunt Betty is married and has a daughter.

Veronica meets the requirements to sponsor her aunt because she doesn’t have:

• a close living relative she could sponsor instead (such as a spouse, partner, child, orphaned sibling, parent or grandparent) and
  • any other relative such as an aunt who is a citizen, permanent resident or registered Indian of Canada.
On the application, Betty will be designated as the principle applicant and her husband will be designated as a dependant.

Betty’s daughter can be included on the application only if she qualifies as a dependent child. If her daughter is older than the age limit or she doesn’t meet all the requirements, she can’t be added to Betty’s application and will have to immigrate to Canada on her own.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
thank you for your reply

Veronica doesn’t have a spouse or a common-law partner. She has no children, and lives in Canada as a permanent resident. Her parents and grandparents have all passed away and she doesn’t have any relatives in Canada who are Canadian citizens, permanent residents or registered Indians. Veronica would like to sponsor her aunt Betty, who she is very close with. Her aunt Betty is married and has a daughter.

• a close living relative she could sponsor instead (such as a spouse, partner, child, orphaned sibling, parent or grandparent) and
  • any other relative such as an aunt who is a citizen, permanent resident or registered Indian of Canada.
On the application, Betty will be designated as the principle applicant and her husband will be designated as a dependant.

Betty’s daughter can be included on the application only if she qualifies as a dependent child. If her daughter is older than the age limit or she doesn’t meet all the requirements, she can’t be added to Betty’s application and will have to immigrate to Canada on her own.
But you don’t meet the requirements in the first line - no spouse, no children, no parents and no relatives. You are ”Veronica.”This is called “the lonely Canadian” path for sponsorship. You have a family so not eligible.

Veronica doesn’t have a spouse or a common-law partner. She has no children, and lives in Canada as a permanent resident. Her parents and grandparents have all passed away and she doesn’t have any relatives in Canada

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thank you for your reply

This only applies if you meet the lonely Canadian rule. This means that to sponsor your aunt, you would need to have no children, no spouse, no other family members in Canada and both of your parents would need to be deceased.