+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I some extra time to get papers for my application.

rajeshnpai

Jul 23, 2012
Goa, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,
Last year I had applied for the Canadian permanent resident card when I was studying in Vancouver.
After graduation I came back to my home country India and I was following up with the immigration process from here.

The other day I got a letter from CIC that I need to provide a police clearance, go through a health checkup, pay the right or permanent residency fee and submit my passport to the Canadian high commission in India.

I was able to get all the required papers except the police clearance for the time when I was staying in canada.
I was able to get my fingerprint records from the local police station at my hometown and I have sent them to the Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services at Ottawa but I do not think the police clearance will come on time and I only have a week left for submitting all my documents to the Canadian High Commission in India.

I am planning to send all the remaining documents with a letter stating that I have applied for a police clearance certificate from Ottawa as well as the courier records and emails showing that I have been in touch with Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services.

Do you think this kind of submission is ok?
Will the Canadian high commission wait for me to receive the police clearance ?
I have all other papers ready and I have a police clearance from India and the fingerprint records from my local police station.

Im really worried about this and it seems to be the final process of getting my permanent residency and I would appreciate any advice you can give me. :(

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should be fine. As you mention, send them copies of all the documents to show that you have applied for it.

BTW, did they specifically ask for the Canadian police certificate? If not, you don't even need to submit it upfront. See the instructions for Canada:

"Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?
Only in certain cases. The Canadian visa office will tell you if you need a Canadian criminal record check while your application is being processed."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/canada.asp

rajeshnpai said:
Hi everyone,
Last year I had applied for the Canadian permanent resident card when I was studying in Vancouver.
After graduation I came back to my home country India and I was following up with the immigration process from here.

The other day I got a letter from CIC that I need to provide a police clearance, go through a health checkup, pay the right or permanent residency fee and submit my passport to the Canadian high commission in India.

I was able to get all the required papers except the police clearance for the time when I was staying in canada.
I was able to get my fingerprint records from the local police station at my hometown and I have sent them to the Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services at Ottawa but I do not think the police clearance will come on time and I only have a week left for submitting all my documents to the Canadian High Commission in India.

I am planning to send all the remaining documents with a letter stating that I have applied for a police clearance certificate from Ottawa as well as the courier records and emails showing that I have been in touch with Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services.

Do you think this kind of submission is ok?
Will the Canadian high commission wait for me to receive the police clearance ?
I have all other papers ready and I have a police clearance from India and the fingerprint records from my local police station.

Im really worried about this and it seems to be the final process of getting my permanent residency and I would appreciate any advice you can give me. :(

rajeshnpai

Jul 23, 2012
Goa, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The letter i received said
"from each country/state where the residence period has been six months or longer since the age of 18, provide an original police clearance certificate for yourself."

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rajeshnpai said:
The letter i received said
"from each country/state where the residence period has been six months or longer since the age of 18, provide an original police clearance certificate for yourself."
First, don't worry at all about it.

In all likelihood, that is just a form letter and they didn't clarify you probably don't need a Canadian police certificate assuming you would 'know' Canada is one of the exceptions (they can check your Canadian records directly and usually only ask for a Canadian police certificate if they need to disambiguate you from someone else with the same name that does have a record).

HOWEVER, since you already requested it, I would tell them that even though the instructions at
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/canada.asp
indicate the visa office would tell you specifically if you need a Canadian police check since their instructions were ambiguous you have already ordered it as shown by x documents (courier receipt, etc) and will forward it as soon as you receive it just in case they somehow do need it in your case.

Good luck :)