+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I show my FD account balance from the home country for proof of fund in the express entry application?

Angelina2020

May 7, 2020
Hi everyone,

I came to Canada as a student and completed my postgraduate certification program and currently awaiting for graduation in Canada. My CRS calculation indicates I've enough points to apply for the Federal Skilled Worker (Express Entry) program. Is it possible for me to show the proof of funds from an FD account in my home country in my name? Or should I need to break the FD and bring it to Canada before applying?

I really appreciate your advice!
Thank You

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Needs to be in more liquid funds because they are supposed to be easily accessible to pay for your settlement and time until you find permanent employment. Doesn’t need to be in CAD.

Angelina2020

May 7, 2020
Needs to be in more liquid funds because they are supposed to be easily accessible to pay for your settlement and time until you find permanent employment. Doesn’t need to be in CAD.
Is there any option I can do without going back home and breaking the FD? Much appreciate your advice.
Thank You!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is there any option I can do without going back home and breaking the FD? Much appreciate your advice.
Thank You!
You can try to submit the FD but be prepared that liquid funds is usually what is needed. The funds are supposed to be used as settlement funds so need to be accessible which is why they usually need to be liquid funds that convert to a certain amount of CAD.

Reactions: Angelina2020

Angelina2020

May 7, 2020
You can try to submit the FD but be prepared that liquid funds is usually what is needed. The funds are supposed to be used as settlement funds so need to be accessible which is why they usually need to be liquid funds that convert to a certain amount of CAD.
Thank you again for your prompt reply. I can break the FD anytime. But, I may need to go back to my country to do that. It is again too much work and I've no idea on how to show the bank history for this, ones after bring them back to Canada. Meantime, I've 1-year postgraduate work permit after graduation. I'm thinking of applying during that time period.