+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CAN I RENEW MY PR 2 MONTHS BEFORE IT EXPIRES?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - absolutely - provided you meet the residency obligation.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
You can apply up to six months before your card is expired

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=065&top=10

As scylla said, at the day you apply for card renewal, go back 5 years, and make sure you have the required number of days. If you don't, not only would they refuse to renew your card, they would initiate revocation of your status as well.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thank you! One more question:

How many days before I can get my new PR card after I renew it?
It will take 3 months to arrive assuming a simple case. If you are closer to the minimum residency days required, then it may go for secondary processing and who knows how long it will take.

kshlv

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
It will take 3 months to arrive assuming a simple case. If you are closer to the minimum residency days required, then it may go for secondary processing and who knows how long it will take.
I need to leave Canada a month after I renew my PR. Do I need something or a substitute for my PR card when traveling outside Canada? Or I just need a travel document when entering Canada?

kshlv

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
You can apply up to six months before your card is expired

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=065&top=10

As scylla said, at the day you apply for card renewal, go back 5 years, and make sure you have the required number of days. If you don't, not only would they refuse to renew your card, they would initiate revocation of your status as well.
I have another question:

I am planning to travel right after my application for PR renewal. I just couldnt wait for weeks to receive it before i leave. I know that i have to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document. But what are the requirements I need to bring? I live with my mom and I don't pay rent just yet because my mom supports me. so i cant show them any proof of things like that. What else do i need to bring to show them that i am a permanent resident of Canada so I won't have to worry ahout going back to Canada without my PR card? do i bring my health card? Do i need to get a copy of something from the bank? A copy of my previous payslips?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Info about the PRTD here complete with document checklist.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-permanent-resident-travel-document.html

Do not know how long you plan to travel for but be aware it can take a couple of weeks to get a PRTD sometimes longer depending where you are applying for it. If you cannot wait that long in the destination country you can return via a US land border, just cannot board a plane direct to Canada without a PRTD or a card.

kshlv

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
Info about the PRTD here complete with document checklist.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-permanent-resident-travel-document.html

Do not know how long you plan to travel for but be aware it can take a couple of weeks to get a PRTD sometimes longer depending where you are applying for it. If you cannot wait that long in the destination country you can return via a US land border, just cannot board a plane direct to Canada without a PRTD or a card.
Can I apply for PRTD in the Canada Visa embassy in the Philippines? I am staying in the Philippines for 4 months so i think that is enough? What documents do i need to submit when i apply for prtd? I am still a student so i dont know what i can bring.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Can I apply for PRTD in the Canada Visa embassy in the Philippines? I am staying in the Philippines for 4 months so i think that is enough? What documents do i need to submit when i apply for prtd? I am still a student so i dont know what i can bring.
You apply for the PR TD at the closest Visa Application Centre (VAC). There is one in Manila and one in Cebu. http://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/Philippines/contact_us.html

Read the link posted to above, on how to apply for PR TD. 4 months is more than enough time.

Hopefully you are comfortably meeting your residency obligation of 2 years in Canada over past 5.