+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i remain in canada if i lose or quit my job

rasher83

Jun 29, 2009
Hi,
I have a 3 year work permit that expires in 2 years.
If I choose to leave this job, ( I understand that I will need to apply for a labour market opinion again for a new job) am I good to stay in Canada until the date on my work permit?
I have worked here 2 years now and will be applying for landed immigrant status in the new year, so that should sort everything out in the end (when its processed), but I am just wondering if I am technically in a bad place if anyone checked my work permit and asked the company if i still worked there?
Thanks,

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
rasher83 said:
Hi,
I have a 3 year work permit that expires in 2 years.
If I choose to leave this job, ( I understand that I will need to apply for a labour market opinion again for a new job) am I good to stay in Canada until the date on my work permit? yes, you're good to stay. your employer files for LMO
I have worked here 2 years now and will be applying for landed immigrant status in the new year, so that should sort everything out in the end (when its processed), but I am just wondering if I am technically in a bad place if anyone checked my work permit and asked the company if i still worked there? no you're not in a bad place, you are looking for a new job
Thanks,

rasher83

Jun 29, 2009
Thanks for the reply, I just need a little bit more clarification.
What if I don't find work for 6 months or a year or 2 years?
Can I stay until the end of my visa?
Thanks again

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you can stay until the end of your visa. You might even be able to get EI if you have been laid off.

SatKKumar

Jun 7, 2013
I have another question on top of it. If I resign, with in the visa validity period, can I go outside(home country) of Canada or to US on visit and come back?

JGK

Star Member
Jul 16, 2010
Vegreville, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (File Moved to Detroit July 2011)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-09-2010
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
31-05-2010
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
01-03-2011
Med's Done....
22-03-2011
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
13-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-09-2011
LANDED..........
12-10-2011
SatKKumar said:
I have another question on top of it. If I resign, with in the visa validity period, can I go outside(home country) of Canada or to US on visit and come back?
Risky, immigration could refuse entry if they are aware you are not actually working. Heed the words on the bottom of the TWP "Does not guarantee re-entry"

james0011

Star Member
May 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
cpp-ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do a bit of brainstorming and ask urself why would you resign and go visit us or your country without a job in canada, and i hope ur conclusion would be , ah well i was close to make a funny mistake.

Just keep in mind CBSA have been tough on people lately, before taking chances do some research.

Good luck

bafakih

Star Member
Apr 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-09-2013
Doc's Request.
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
08-11-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Med's Done....
How can a person on work permit apply for EI? I thought EI is only allowed for citizens and permanent residents of Canada. It does not extend to foreign workers.

Please advise. I would like to know as I got laid off in March, I already have an offer from another company who is going through the LMO process for me. In the mean time if I can get EI that will help with my expenses.
Thanks

Leon said:
Yes, you can stay until the end of your visa. You might even be able to get EI if you have been laid off.

james0011

Star Member
May 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
cpp-ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bafakih said:
How can a person on work permit apply for EI? I thought EI is only allowed for citizens and permanent residents of Canada. It does not extend to foreign workers.

Please advise. I would like to know as I got laid off in March, I already have an offer from another company who is going through the LMO process for me. In the mean time if I can get EI that will help with my expenses.
Thanks
go to a service canada agent or phone them up, you will definitely be able to claim what you paid for,,

good luck

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bafakih said:

Thanks
You can apply. In the past, foreign workers have often been refused but I also know people who have gotten it. It depends on the office and your situation.