+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I quit my Job after Applying for PR?

channychanchan

Sep 28, 2018
So this is my current situation:

CEC Inland Express Entry PR application

ITA: Mar 4
AOR: Mar 11
CRS Score: 478
(My CRS score is 428 + 50 from LMIA job offer)
Cut off Score at ITA: 471

My PR application is being processed and I am waiting for Service Canada to open so I can do my biometrics. Otherwise all the docs are in.
Based on the above, I have 2 questions

1. Can I quit my job now, or will it affect my application?
2. If not, can i quit my job if in the next draw the crs cut off score drops below 428? (in the latest draw it was 431)
3. Either way, can I leave the country and do my biometrics elsewhere and wait for the application to be processed?

also does anybody know when Service Canada will open... this is so frustrating.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

My PR application is being processed and I am waiting for Service Canada to open so I can do my biometrics. Otherwise all the docs are in.

2. If not, can i quit my job if in the next draw the crs cut off score drops below 428? (in the latest draw it was 431)
3. Either way, can I leave the country and do my biometrics elsewhere and wait for the application to be processed?

1. It's not advisable to quit your job. If IRCC determines that you have quit your job, they will most likely say that you are no longer entitled to the 50 points for having a job offer and this will result in your application being refused.
2. You would need to withdraw your current application and create a new Express Entry profile if you want to go this route and be selected without a job offer.
3. Sure, you can leave the country.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......

1) Is your LMIA job offer based on the current job you have or not, meaning with a different employer.
If YES, then No you shouldn't quit as you will most certainly lose the 50 points. If NO, then yes you should not worry about quitting.

2) You would have to go back to the pool, by not accepting the current ITA. It is impossible to anticipate if you will be able to get an ITA in the next draw. However, to get it you will have to have declined the current one beforehand.

3) Yes you can, you should just inform IRCC about any change of address.

channychanchan

Sep 28, 2018
Thanks for the responses guys.
I didn't realise that even if the latest cut off score is way below what I need, I guess my points are tied to when I actually received the invitation.

As for leaving the country to do biometrics, I figure if I leave and then wait it out in another country (living with my parents, I wouldn't have to pay rent, etc.) I guess IRCC would take that as me having left my job... unless I return pretty quickly?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the responses guys.
I didn't realise that even if the latest cut off score is way below what I need, I guess my points are tied to when I actually received the invitation.

As for leaving the country to do biometrics, I figure if I leave and then wait it out in another country (living with my parents, I wouldn't have to pay rent, etc.) I guess IRCC would take that as me having left my job... unless I return pretty quickly?
Yes - your points are tied to the round where you received an invitation.

If you leave the country for a short vacation (e.g. 2-3 weeks), there won't be any issues with that. If your plan is instead to leave for a number of months, then IRCC may question if what you have is really a job offer.

channychanchan

Sep 28, 2018
Yes - your points are tied to the round where you received an invitation.

If you leave the country for a short vacation (e.g. 2-3 weeks), there won't be any issues with that. If your plan is instead to leave for a number of months, then IRCC may question if what you have is really a job offer.
yeah it'd have to be a couple of months at least because when i get there i'd have to be quarantined for 2 weeks, do my biometrics there and then have a vacation for a month ish, then come back and be quarantined for 2 weeks again in canada and then go back to work.
i'm guessing if this is the case i don't have to let them know of a change in address

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
yeah it'd have to be a couple of months at least because when i get there i'd have to be quarantined for 2 weeks, do my biometrics there and then have a vacation for a month ish, then come back and be quarantined for 2 weeks again in canada and then go back to work.
i'm guessing if this is the case i don't have to let them know of a change in address
It's honestly hard to say what will happen. If you keep your trip to two months then probably a good chance you'll be good.