+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I quit college after applying for Open Work Permit?

aplus

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Hi all,

I'm in Canada on a study permit. I've applied for an open work permit and have got the initial letter IMM5988 which says:
"It is a proof that you are authorized to continue working with the same conditions (ie: employer and occupation) until or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first."

Now I wanna if I can quit college now or I need to wait for a final decision a have my status changed from study to open work permit?

thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

I'm in Canada on a study permit. I've applied for an open work permit and have got the initial letter IMM5988 which says:
"It is a proof that you are authorized to continue working with the same conditions (ie: employer and occupation) until or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first."

Now I wanna if I can quit college now or I need to wait for a final decision a have my status changed from study to open work permit?

thanks
On what basis have you applied for the open work permit?

The letter indicates that you can continue working under the same conditions you have now so you would need to remain a full time student until a decision is made in the application.

Reactions: YVR123 and aplus

aplus

Star Member
May 25, 2014
It's a new law only for Iranians.
Situation in Iran: Temporary immigration, passport and citizenship measures - Canada.ca

Even with the text below?
"If you apply to change your status and your current status expires before your application is processed

You are considered to have maintained your status.

Maintained status is a legal extension of status that allows a temporary resident to stay in Canada while we process their application. This means you can legally stay in Canada while you wait for a decision on your application. You must continue to meet the conditions described in your expiring document."

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's a new law only for Iranians.
Situation in Iran: Temporary immigration, passport and citizenship measures - Canada.ca

Even with the text below?
"If you apply to change your status and your current status expires before your application is processed

You are considered to have maintained your status.

Maintained status is a legal extension of status that allows a temporary resident to stay in Canada while we process their application. This means you can legally stay in Canada while you wait for a decision on your application. You must continue to meet the conditions described in your expiring document."
Maintained status means you can continue working under the conditions of your current permit. Your current permit requires you to be studying full time to be allowed to work. So you would want to remain in school.

Reactions: aplus and YVR123
Jul 11, 2020
Hello,

I am in the same situation as you i.e. I'm on a study permit, and I'm looking to apply for the open work permit open to Iranian nationals.

How did you apply for the open work permit online? I’m asking because when I try to apply online as a student and I fill out the online questionnaire here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool.html if I choose Student as my current immigration status, the result is never Open Work Permit regardless of my answers to other questions. What am I missing?

Thanks

sbsh

May 17, 2023
Hello,

I am in the same situation as you i.e. I'm on a study permit, and I'm looking to apply for the open work permit open to Iranian nationals.

How did you apply for the open work permit online? I’m asking because when I try to apply online as a student and I fill out the online questionnaire here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool.html if I choose Student as my current immigration status, the result is never Open Work Permit regardless of my answers to other questions. What am I missing?

Thanks