+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I qualify for Canada Express entry if I am presently residing in Quebec with a valid job?

abrowanil

Oct 22, 2020
I have been staying in Canada for more then one year and now I am planning to apply for Permanent Resident through Canada Express Entry. For the first 11 months I was staying and working in Ontario. I got a job from India through LMIA process. Presently I got a job and working in Montreal for last 3 months. My present employer is Quebec based and he sponsored a new closed work permit. He cancelled last closed work permit and issued new closed work permit in Montreal.

My question is whether I can apply for express entry as I don't want to go for province nomination. Whether my stay in Quebec doesn't allow me to apply for express entry. Whether my new job will give me 50 points as we get for LMIA.

johnnycyrille

Star Member
Aug 3, 2018
Working in Quebec counts as Canadian experience so yes you can apply for express entry even though you are working in Quebec and claim points for it. However, you can't declare your intention to live in Quebec. Good luck with your application!

abrowanil

Oct 22, 2020
Working in Quebec counts as Canadian experience so yes you can apply for express entry even though you are working in Quebec and claim points for it. However, you can't declare your intention to live in Quebec. Good luck with your application!
Thank you very much for the reply so that means I can apply but have to prove that I don't want to stay in Quebec. Also my full time job in Quebec will give me additional points because it is work permit exempted from the LMIA/CAQ requirement

johnnycyrille

Star Member
Aug 3, 2018
Thank you very much for the reply so that means I can apply but have to prove that I don't want to stay in Quebec. Also my full time job in Quebec will give me additional points because it is work permit exempted from the LMIA/CAQ requirement
Technically it's not that you have to prove you don't want to stay in Quebec. Just select any other province in your application. Also, as long as you are working legally and your employer is willing to give you an employment letter then yes you will claim the points. Cheers!

abrowanil

Oct 22, 2020
Technically it's not that you have to prove you don't want to stay in Quebec. Just select any other province in your application. Also, as long as you are working legally and your employer is willing to give you an employment letter then yes you will claim the points. Cheers!
Thank you very much for the input it is really very helpful. Much appreciated

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have been staying in Canada for more then one year and now I am planning to apply for Permanent Resident through Canada Express Entry. For the first 11 months I was staying and working in Ontario. I got a job from India through LMIA process. Presently I got a job and working in Montreal for last 3 months. My present employer is Quebec based and he sponsored a new closed work permit. He cancelled last closed work permit and issued new closed work permit in Montreal.

My question is whether I can apply for express entry as I don't want to go for province nomination. Whether my stay in Quebec doesn't allow me to apply for express entry. Whether my new job will give me 50 points as we get for LMIA.
Just clarifying that he can’t issue a new WP. Do you mean that you applied and received a new WP from the government?

shayusuf247

Nov 10, 2019
agree